Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Engagements involving 88 Co 9th Bn Imperial Yeomanry March 1902 2 years 5 months ago #79374

• pwestover
  • pwestover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I grew up in the household of Archibald Eyton, Lieutenant of Montgomeryshire later Imperial Yeomanry. I was 10 when he died so did not get to ask 'What did you do in the war, Grandpa?' questions. He was in SA on or before March 1901, and was invalided home April 1902. I have been trying to figure out in which engagement he was injured - which is where the 88 Co, 9th Bn question comes in: that was his unit. Any leads would be appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engagements involving 88 Co 9th Bn Imperial Yeomanry March 1902 2 years 5 months ago #79375

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Your Picture......

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Engagements involving 88 Co 9th Bn Imperial Yeomanry March 1902 2 years 5 months ago #79377

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
pwestover
There is no entry for a Lt. A.Eyton in the Palmer Casualty roll - so it is likely that he was invalided due to sickness. My I.Y. CD shows him as "Lt. A.C.Eyton". The pic Mike helped you to post shows an officer wearing the BSA Coy's medal in addition to the QSA and the Owen roll shows an entry for "Eyton, Archd. C." as a Cpl of the BSA police and entitled to their 1897 medal.
Regarding the activities of the 88th Coy., 9th Bn. I.Y. ,apart from a personal account, the Bn's activities may be followed by reference to the SAFF Casualty roll. There are too many entries to list here and in any case, the 88th Coy. may not have been present at all of them.
Have you checked one of the commercial sites for any papers?
Regards
IL.

Engagements involving 88 Co 9th Bn Imperial Yeomanry March 1902 2 years 5 months ago #79378

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello pwestover
Welcome to the forum
Was your Grandfather Archibald Cumberland Eyton? 1866 / 1954

The 88th (Welsh Yeomanry) Company was raised 1901, sponsored by the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry Cavalry. It was the 2nd contingent to go to S.A which arrived during mid 1901. If the above is your Grandfather, he was recorded in the 1901 census as being at Wynnstay Mansion in Ruabon along with his fellow officers. When A C Eyton arrived in South Africa and looking at his QSA medal roll he was in Cape Colony and the Transvaal. I couldn't find anything pertaining to his injury. Do you have any detail regarding his wounding or did he have any sickness which may have occurred during his time in S.A?
He may have been Invalided home for wounds or possibly enteric fever.
You mentioned April 1902. Your Grandfather's Battalion had a skirmish in March 1902 at Klerksdorp near Elandsglatte on the 21st of March 1902, so that may be a possibility.
My apologies if I have got the wrong man.
Regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Engagements involving 88 Co 9th Bn Imperial Yeomanry March 1902 2 years 5 months ago #79379

• pwestover
  • pwestover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you, Linney1 I have not checked the commercial sites, don't think I realized they existed. The SAFF seems a good approach: I had happened on that, but passed on it because it seemed to involve a massive download.

Engagements involving 88 Co 9th Bn Imperial Yeomanry March 1902 2 years 5 months ago #79380

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Listing found in FMP......

First name(s) A C
Last name Eyton
Country Great Britain
Service number -
Notes QSA Clasps: CC,T,SA01,SA02
Rank Lieutenant
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Regiment 88 (Montgomeryshire) Company 9 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry
Category Military Service & Conflict
Rolls WO100/124
Subcategory Boer Wars
Year 1899-1902
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds