TOPIC:

New member with request for help... 2 years 5 months ago #79289

• FrancoisVE
  • FrancoisVE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all!

I am new here and my primary interest is twofold.

Firstly, I would like to find out more about my family's involvement in the war - my great grandfather (and possibly his brothers and uncles, cousins) fought in the war and most of his children perished in the camps. My grandfather was born after the war. The surname is like mine, van Emmenes and they hail from Bronkhorstspruit and Naboomspruit/Nylstroom.

Secondly, I am doing research on a certain Lieutenant(2nd Lieut???) John Frediric Strathearn Gordon who apparently served with the Royal Scots and received the SA Queen's Medal with 5 clasps. British war records states: 1900-02; Operations in the Transvaal, March 1901 to May 31 1902; Operations in Cape Colony, Dec 1900 to March 1901, Queen's medal with 5 clasps.

I would like to know in which battles they were involved in, whom fought etc.

Where do I start? Any member willing to give advice?

Many thanks
Francois van Emmenes
Pretoria

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member with request for help... 2 years 5 months ago #79300

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello FrancoisVE
Welcome to the forum.
A little information pertaining to your 2nd request.
2nd Lieutenant JFS Gordon 1st Battalion Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ots-lothian-regiment

When time permits later this week I will try and help with Lieutenant Gordon's back story if possible.
But I think he died in WW1 1914 serving in the Scottish Rifles as a Captain. Also there is a connection to his brother who I believe was also a soldier who possibly made a Lieutenant Colonel and resided in Capetown. Lots to check out and clarify, but I may be able to help out with your request.

As for your family research, there are many fine contributors on this site who reside in S.A who may be able to help.

Kind regards

Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrancoisVE

New member with request for help... 2 years 5 months ago #79302

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Francois,
I referenced the ABO medal roll and the following relating to people with the surname:

1. Van Emmenes, Johannes Jacobus - Pretoria Cmdo
2. Van Emmenes, Roelof Jacobus - Pretoria Cmdo
3. Van Emmenes, Stephaniss Andries - Bronkhorstspruit Cmdo

There is a 4th name with a slightly different spelling, but include it here:
Van Emmenis, Andries Johannes Stephanus - Waterberg Cmdo

Hope this is of assistance to do further tracking.
Regards

Gavin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, FrancoisVE

New member with request for help... 2 years 5 months ago #79308

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi Francois:

Stephanus Andries Van Emmenes
Birthdate: estimated 1882
Immediate Family:
Son of Gert Lourens van Emmenis (Birth: October 27, 1862, Death: 1934) and Anna Jacoba van Emmenis (Birth: before April 07, 1805 Central Karoo DC, Western Cape, South Africa , Death: May 01, 1875 Duvenaarskraal, Rhenosterpoort, Zoutpansberg)

Brother of Anna Jacoba van Emmenis; Johannes Jacobus van Emmenis; Roelof Jacobus Van Emmenes; Emmarentia Adriana Van Emmenes and Petrus Stephanus Wilhelmus Van Emmenes

As you can see, the members of the ABO roll shown by forum member Gavmedals, werer all brothers:
1. Van Emmenes, Johannes Jacobus - Pretoria Cmdo
2. Van Emmenes, Roelof Jacobus - Pretoria Cmdo
3. Van Emmenes, Stephaniss Andries - Bronkhorstspruit Cmdo

And they had a father and mother Gert Lourens van Emmenis and Anna Jacoba van Emmenis (also wife of Hoof-Kmdt Andries Hendrik Potgieter )

Petrus Stefanus was killed at Pruizen, Potgiertersrus aged 20 years, serving under General Beyers.

R J (probably Roelof Jacobus) was a member of the League of Veterans, birth date 13 June 1870, Lived at Boskop, Pretoria, Last officer General de la Rey, died 18 May 1932, widow was Jacoba P.A.C. van Emmenis (Grave in Mokopane, Potgietersrus)

It is possible for you to get the ABO medal application papers for each of these men, which will give you a very good idea what the did during the Anglo-Boer War.
If you want to do this, send me a pm message and I will forward a researcher's name to contact.

Regards

Adrian
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals, Dave F, FrancoisVE

New member with request for help... 2 years 5 months ago #79317

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hi Francois
Hope this helps?

John Frederick Strathearn Gordon
Born 19th May 1882 Kensington London
He was the son of Sir John JH Gordon GCB Indian Army and the Honourable Lady Gordon.

He was educated at Sunningdale School Berkshire

He served in the Royal Scots regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant in South Africa from 1st of December 1900 until the 25th of March 1903.
Part of his time in South Africa was with the 2nd Mounted Infantry battalion in 1902 for a 6 month period . He was promoted to Lieutenant on the 16th December 1902.

He served in the East Indies 1903 to 1904,  British East Africa 1904 to 1909 and Somaliland from 1909 until 1910. During his time in East Africa he was attached to the Camel Corps from 1904 to 1907.
Lieutenant Gordon spoke Arabic, Swahili and could also hold conversations in French, German and Dutch.

His parents resided in India for a time, I think they had homes in London and Scotland. It was from India where JFS Gordon left on the ship Palanan in 1913 calling at Malta then back to England.

He joined the Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) in 1914.
He was a Captain now and served with the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) It was on the battlefield of Ypres where Captain Gordon was Severely wounded and later died of those wounds aged 32 on the 19th of November 1914. He is remembered on the Poperinge Memorial Cemetery in Belgium. 

His brother Edward Ian Drumhearn Gordon a Captain in the Royal Scots Fusiliers was the beneficiary of John's estate. He also applied on behalf of John for the 1914 Star in 1917.

John's medal entitlement was a QSA with 5 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal plus 1901 & 1902 date clasps. Africa GSM with 1 clasp and eventually a WW1 trio.

Medal rolls

WW1 medal card

Memorial

There is an entry on wikipedia pertaining to John Frederick Strathearn Gordon's father which gives a brief history and mentions both his sons who served in the army.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals, FrancoisVE

New member with request for help... 2 years 5 months ago #79323

• FrancoisVE
  • FrancoisVE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

Dave F wrote: Hello FrancoisVE
Welcome to the forum.
A little information pertaining to your 2nd request.
2nd Lieutenant JFS Gordon 1st Battalion Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ots-lothian-regiment

When time permits later this week I will try and help with Lieutenant Gordon's back story if possible.
But I think he died in WW1 1914 serving in the Scottish Rifles as a Captain. Also there is a connection to his brother who I believe was also a soldier who possibly made a Lieutenant Colonel and resided in Capetown. Lots to check out and clarify, but I may be able to help out with your request.

As for your family research, there are many fine contributors on this site who reside in S.A who may be able to help.

Kind regards

Dave

Dear Dave

Thanks you very much, I have a reasonable amount of info on the Captain and even spoke to his brother's descendants in Cape Town, as well as numerous emails between us.

A huge thank you for the medal decoration docs and others!!!! I will pass this on to the family as well.

I am the current owner of Holland & Holland shotgun the Captain bought in 1910 (receiving it no doubt in October 1910 when he returned to England, it was completed in Aug 1910).

Capt. JFS's brother, Edward had a son Anthony (Major Tony Gordon) who Ed, Tony's son, tells me Tony went to Scotland somewhere in the 1950's and visited a law firm. An elderly gentelman attended to him (reason for visit still unknown) and asked if he was perhaps related to a JFS Gordon. Tony replied yes, and explained the relation. The gentleman then said "I have something for you", went to the store room and returned with the shotgun in question! My primary interest in the Captain is this gun (and now 3 others that I know he had, there wherabouts unknown at this stage).

I am a part-time Contributing Editor for Mag Magnum magazine here in South Africa - a leading monthly publication on hunting/shooting and all things firearm related, with a lot of war history content for the last 40 years. I am a avid hunter and shooter, and I am currently having JFS's shotgun restored. It is a most valuable possession of mine, thus the interest. Now to find out what happened to the shotgun between the time of the Captain's death and the 1950's... !

Again many thanks for the help so far!

Best regards
Francois

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.546 seconds