Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 5 months ago #79559

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
Hensley's death is also mentioned in Lieutenant Thomas Hugh Colville Frankland's account 'Held by the Enemy' He was captured in the ambush and his memoire is included as an appendix to Ian Hamilton's March. Thanks also for finding the SAMHS article. Hensley was a good writer, and his account of the Talana Hill battle is riveting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 5 months ago #79586

• pfireman
Off the topic of the ambush but still somewhat related; can someone direct me to the right place to find these maps. They are included in London to Ladysmith but I've searched everywhere and no decent copies have shown up. Here are the best I've been able to find. If anyone has a copy of the book and can take a picture or scan in the maps I'd appreciate it. It might add to the general archive as well.
Stretching a bit, there is also a map of Haldane's escape route and the stations he passed through in his book, How we escaped from Pretoria. This is also the route Churchill took. Any leads would be welcome.
Maybe post files here but I'm also available by email if there are larger ones. Bounty offered if needed! Lol. Also, thanks to all for the great contributions to this thread!
Northern Natal

January 11th to Feb 9th

February 14th to the 28th

Haldane fold out map at the end of his book
Attachments:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 5 months ago #79590

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
As far as operations are concerned, I would say the maps in the Times and Official Histories are the most detailed and informative. I am away from my copies of these (and Churchill & Haldane), but can get back to you with scans when home. That is if no one else comes forward in the meantime.

Neville

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 5 months ago #79602

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
More evidence that Rene Bull's photo of the armoured train (kindly posted by Neville) shows Capt. Hensley comes from Bennet Burleigh's despatch of 17 Nov 1899:
The armoured train has gone forth once too often and too far... On the occasions when I journeyed therein, Captain Hensley, of the Dublin Fusiliers, who was in charge usually, was wont to stop the train, dismount, and proceed with one or two men on foot to scout the more dangerous overlooking hills, before steaming beyond them.
see newspapers.library.wales/view/3371974/3371986
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 5 months ago #79609

• pfireman
Burleigh also compiled his despatches into a very readable book. Benett Burleigh The Natal Campaign Chapman Hall Ltd. 1900
The reference to Hensley is on page 71 CHAPTER VI The link below is to the internet archive copy:

https://archive.org/details/natalcampaign00burl

For some reason the hyperlink to the newspaper timed out on me here in the US so I looked it up in the book.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 5 months ago #79721

• pfireman
I've been able to locate better maps for London to Ladysmith. I'm uploading copies stitched together by my friend from two haves (for the Operations maps) These uploads are for general consumption and downloading. I still need a better copy of Haldane's map and if better copies of the Operations maps show up that would be great but these are much improved versions and will do.

BTW: I want to thank everyone for being so kind as to not point out that I misspelled Churchill's name when I started the thread! It was my first thread and I regularly screw up all kinds of things. I've tried to correct the error and we'll see if it takes

I wish there was a way to scale these things so they did not come out so huge.

Natal Map.

Battle Map 1

Battle Map 2
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.961 seconds