Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hello from Arizona! 2 years 8 months ago #77222

• niko88
  • niko88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi there! My name is Nick and I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I found this site while researching my great-great grandfather Private Charles R. Bell, who served as a stretcher bearer near the latter half of the 2nd war. A brief journal of his time spent there has been handed down through the generations and it found its way into my hands. I have transcribed the journal and was looking to post it here as a resource for others. It mentions a number of other privates, lieutenants, sergeant majors, brigade majors and General Buller, of course. Thought it might be useful for anyone looking to do genealogical inquiries. It's also quite a nice little story he tells, from the perspective of a simple conscript without much to lose. Looking for advice as to where I should post the journal link. I'm also posting it here in case anyone has an interest in reading it.

Journal of Private Charles R. Bell
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Peter Jordi, LinneyI, RobCT, BereniceUK, azyeoman, gavmedals, Clive Stone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Arizona! 2 years 8 months ago #77224

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
Hi, Nick, and thank you very much for the transcript - fascinating reading. I'm sure others here will be able to add to it, and I'd like to know who that dreadful Captain Martin was.

I have some good memories of Arizona, especially the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, and the Painted Desert.

Hello from Arizona! 2 years 8 months ago #77225

• niko88
  • niko88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
Oh wow! The Wigwam. That's taking me back as well. Yes, I found Captain Martin on this site. Received a good set of commendations when his superiors submitted reports, but perhaps not so well-liked among his subordinates. Thanks for taking a look!

Hello from Arizona! 2 years 8 months ago #77226

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294

niko88 wrote: Yes, I found Captain Martin on this site. Received a good set of commendations when his superiors submitted reports, but perhaps not so well-liked among his subordinates. Thanks for taking a look!

It may have been particularly the Colonials that he didn't care for.

Hello from Arizona! 2 years 8 months ago #77227

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
niko88
Thank you very much for the posting of the diary of your GGF; Bearer C.R.Bell of the NVAC. I found his narrative to be informative, having an undercurrent of dry humour and giving the readers of today the mood of those distant times. I would, however, make a comment about your description of your GGF as being a "conscript" during the Boer War. As its title says, the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps (aka "The Bodysnatchers") was a volunteer organisation. Your GGF had to actually volunteer to join; he was not forcibly enlisted - although there may have been economic factors at play. Nevertheless, volunteer he did.
I took the liberty of looking at the nominal roll of the NVAC on this site as well as the medal roll and have attached them to this post. The NVAC nominal roll page (seventh entry) shows that your GGF served with them between 19/12/99 and 12/3/1900. He earned the clasps Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith for that service. The medal roll (WO100/261) shows that your GGF later served with the Imperial Bearer Corps, Imperial Hospital Corps and the Rand Rifles (the last being the Johannesburg Town Guard). I have also attached a cut of the IBC medal roll - which shows his entitlement to other clasps OFS and Transvaal. I apologise for the quality of the pics - my little SONY needs updating!
Illustrating that sometimes research reveals what a small world it was at the time of your GGFs service, I end my response by commenting that your distant relative makes a couple of direct references to a man whose medal group I currently have custody of; "Mr" Glencross of the Imperial Bearer Corps - who served in the IBC at the same time.
NVAC nominal roll

NVAC medal roll

Cut from IBC roll

Finally, the Glencross group

Best regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Clive Stone, niko88

Hello from Arizona! 2 years 8 months ago #77230

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome, Nick and many thanks for sharing the diary with us. It is always great to be able to read the accounts of the men on the ground.

To make the diary more accessible, I have copied it to the IBC page: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...bearer-corps?start=2

I have changed your introductory notes to italics, added an acknowledgement and added subheadings for each month.

It it a great addition to the site. Many thanks again
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: niko88

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.673 seconds