• Page:

TOPIC:

James Kenyon 2 years 11 months ago #76715

• GeoffW
  • GeoffW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Well Dave F you have left me dumfounded with the information on James absolutely brilliant, I have tried over the years to find something on him but no success. Thank you.

The information about the boer war came from a book I have, I have scanned the piece and have attached it.

The name William refers to his son, who coincidently married his wife younger sister Maria. I do know that William never served in the forces and died in Widnes circa 1935

Again thank you for your help very much appreciated
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Kenyon 2 years 11 months ago #76716

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
No worries Geoff
Glad to be of assistance.
I found 2 J Kenyons who served in the Prince of Wales Volunteer ( South Lancashire)
Both privates , regimental numbers 83 and 6226. No mention of being killed in action or desceased.
However, I found a J Kenyon who served in the 3rd Battalion East Lancs. Private J Kenyon 9960 he died of Enteric Fever 24th June 1901 Bloemfontein.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeoffW

James Kenyon 2 years 11 months ago #76718

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Your photo.....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, GeoffW

James Kenyon 2 years 11 months ago #76723

• Dave F
Hi Geoff
The East Lancashire 1901 enteric fever J Kenyon was Joseph I believe. So the mystery surrounding your G Grandfather's death is still unsolved. I cannot find any link to the South Lancashire regiment.
However, here is a little more information on your Great Grandfather James Kenyon.
He was 5ft 6 inches tall
Fresh Complexion
Dark Brown Hair.
Blue Eyes
No apparent scars or tattoos.
And he was C of E.
He also served in the Royal Lancashire Artillery Militia before joining the 34th regiment of foot. He was discharged at Gosport.
As I mentioned before he went through the ranks to a full Sergeant but with various altercations including an assault on a police constable he had a few spells awaiting trials, but his punishment was demotion and forfeit of pay on a few occasions instead of serving jail sentences . He spent nearly 10 years in India / Burma.
Only wish we could find some information on the supposed Boer War connection.
Please keep the forum updated if you find any extra details.
Kind regards
Dave

PS The 1871 Census has James aged 14 working on the railways as a labourer.
You mentioned William having no military connections. But what happened to his other brother John Kenyon?
Best regards,
Dave

James Kenyon 2 years 8 months ago #78325

• GeoffW
  • GeoffW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Following on from the advice and help I was given especially from Dave F I took the plunge and ordered a Overseas death certificat, putting the only information I had on James. Wifes name, regiment,residence. After a wait of a few weeks a death certificate arrived. The certificate (copy attached) shows J Kenyon of the 3rd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment. Strange to see that at first but thought he could have joined this regiment and not the South Lancs Regiment. Researching further I found out that J Kenyon was Joseph Kenyon, wrong certificate. Going further I managed to find a copy of the Record of Deceased Soldiers Effects. There was the entry for Joseph Kenyon, however underneath the entry was correct name J Brophy. Does this mean for I am at a loss that Joseph Kenyon was J Brophy and has there been a incorrect entry all round. I think I am the point of letting my Great Grandfather rest in piece

James Kenyon 2 years 8 months ago #78348

• Dave F
Hello Geoff
I think I mentioned Joseph as not being your G Grandfather in a previous post. Joseph was a weaver by trade and his mother was Mary if my memory serves me correctly. As for the Brophy angle, soldiers did use aliases for different reasons when they joined the colours. I did find a J Brophy who served in the 4th Royal Lancaster regiment but he was a Sergeant.
It is so frustrating not to find any details on James regarding his supposed demise during the Boer War. I think your comment regarding leaving your G Grandfather to rest in peace is a prudent one Geoff.

Kind regards
Dave
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeoffW

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds