Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trooper Whitney - the most amazing 13 minutes 2 years 9 months ago #76673

• Bicolboy59
  • Bicolboy59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 67
I have just located an interview with the above trooper made in 1975, although I do not have my regimental history with me, i think he may well have been 1 of the famous "fighting 29" under Lieut Septimius Osbourne.
a most fascinating interview

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1, Clive Stone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper Whitney - the most amazing 13 minutes 2 years 9 months ago #76674

• Clive Stone
  • Thank you received: 39
What an amazing memory as a record of his life. To Aldershot first and then back to Durban ? I and with so much detail included l could not read the full name of the vessel . Also just watched the George Ives interview, another incredible record of events and the brave men who took part
Thank you for the post
Clive

Trooper Whitney - the most amazing 13 minutes 2 years 9 months ago #76676

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The start of the film shows transport ship 26, the Roslin Castle.
Dr David Biggins

Trooper Whitney - the most amazing 13 minutes 2 years 9 months ago #76677

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I found a reference to the clip:

Filmed on 20 October 1899 and showing the ‘Roslin Castle’ bearing the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshires to the front, the catalogue entry for this film confidently claims it as “the best of the series of transports leaving Southampton for South Africa”. Seeing the departing troops in the background as their families wave from the foreground captures the scene’s emotional resonance and hectic atmosphere. Where other transport films of the Boer War focus on famous generals largely forgotten by history, these glimpses of the crowd create a greater resonance for contemporary audiences.

player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-ro...h-africa-1899-online
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bicolboy59

Trooper Whitney - the most amazing 13 minutes 2 years 9 months ago #76678

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's a fantastic interview. Such clarify of recall.

It appears to be 829 Trooper A Whitney, NSW Lancers. The roll shows entitlement to Paar Drie and RoK. Paard and RoK were late issues, perhaps because he was poorly about that time and his entitlement was unclear.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bicolboy59

Trooper Whitney - the most amazing 13 minutes 2 years 9 months ago #76679

• Bicolboy59
  • Bicolboy59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 67
Serious license was taken with this interview, the footage shown was NOT the vessel the NSW Lancers sailed on. They sailed on the SS Ninevah on October 10, 1899 from the UK. I am guessing the production house needed footage and went with what was available.

A 2nd and more glaring issue is the number that landed and the dates. Contrary to the information as shown on this site against the NSW Lancers, the actual number that landed together with Cox was 44 and Osborne with 28 (approx), not the 100 odd in Murray's official record of Australian contingents (I accept that this site has used the official record which in terms of the Lancers gives incorrect figures). On top of this, can it be said that the numbers shown (on this site) against the 1st Contingent are correct? or if it was in Fact the 1st Contingent.

I would suggest that the term "Contingent" in the context would indicate that troops were raised in Sydney or other parts and dispatched from Australia. Whereas, in the case of the NSW Lancers, they were not in transit to go to the front in South Africa upon arrival there, as a state of war did not exist at the time of sailing. It was agreed (Between the British Government and the Government of New South Wales) however, that those who volunteered (age criteria applying) would be allowed to go on "Active service" upon disembarking at Cape Town. This was agreed to some 5 days before war was declared.

For members further reading on the Lancers I would recommend 2 books being
"Featherbed Soldiers" by Col N.C.Smith
"History of the Royal New South Wales Lancers" by Lt Col P.V.Vernon O.B.E.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds