Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Penny Norfolks - who or what? 2 years 11 months ago #76371

• rob carman
  • rob carman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
These snips are from the catalog of the Norfolk Museuems Collections.

What or who were the Penny Norfolks? I have not seen the phrase before. Is the answer as simple as 1 Vol Bn Norfolk Regiment?

From at least 1901 to 1905, Pte PR Colls was a member of 1 Vol Bn Norfolk Regiment. He was a bearer in South Africa with the RAMC. However, I see no PR Colls or any RAMC Colls via Name Search. Two other Colls did serve in 43 and 44 Coy, 12 Bn IY. The companies were recruited in Norwich.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Penny Norfolks - who or what? 2 years 11 months ago #76376

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Hi Rob.....

From Find My Past.....

First name(s) P R
Last name Colls
Service number 13916
Rank Private
Regiment 22 Bearer Company Royal Army Medical Corps
Rolls WO100/219; WO100/223
Year 1899-1902
Biography -
Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: rob carman

Penny Norfolks - who or what? 2 years 11 months ago #76379

• rob carman
Brill. Tx. Rob.

Penny Norfolks - who or what? 2 years 11 months ago #76380

• rob carman
Mike,

Please will you do another look up for me? Was Pte H Ulph, 1 VBNR and RAMC, also in 22 Bearer Coy? I am working on the notion that 22 Coy might have been local to Norfolk or possibly East Anglia.

Rob.

Penny Norfolks - who or what? 2 years 11 months ago #76383

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Hi Rob......

I think this is your man..... Even though there are two listed......

First name(s) H J
Last name Ulph
Service number 15092
Rank Unknown
Regiment 1 Volunteer Battalion The Norfolk Regiment
Other regiments/units served with Royal Army Medical Corps,Private,15092
Year 1899-1902
Biography -
Memorials Gun Hill Road. Memorial. RAMC, Aldershot, Hampshire, England; Castle Meadows. County Memorial, Norwich, Norfolk, England; Cathedral. Plaque. 3,4 & Vol bns Norfolk Regiment, Norwich, Norfolk, England
Event detail Died Disease on 18/06/1901 at Heilbron
Event unit Royal Army Medical Corps
Gazetteer [2726: 2717-2758] a town in the Orange Free State (Heilbron district; Free State), 90 km west of Frankfort. The district raised a commando (acting Cmdt C.R. de Wet;Cmdt L.P. Steenkamp; Cmdt J.C.H. Pistorius; Cmdt F.E. Maritz; Cmdt S.W. Naudé; Cmdt N. Bester); it was positioned at the Drakensberg passes on the outbreak of war. From 13 to 20 May 1900, Heilbron was the seat of the government of the Orange Free State. Lt-Gen I.S.M. Hamilton's mounted infantry division, forming the right flank of the British army advancing towards the Vaal River, entered the town on 22 May 1900. It was followed by Lt-Gen Sir H.E. Colvile's 9th infantry division on 29 May; this remained until 27 June when the division was broken up. Maj-Gen H.A. MacDonald's column was now based in the town. Following the operations against the commandos in the Brandwater Basin* when the garrison was removed, the town was again occupied by Boer forces and on 26 September 1900, Chief-Cmdt C.R. de Wet held a meeting at Heilbron exhorting the burghers to continue fighting; some 1,000 burghers and two guns were reported to be in the town. The town was again occupied by the British, this time by Maj E.C. Knox. In October that year, a line of blockhouses was started from Heilbron to Frankfort*. On the evening of 28 July Cpl 4258 G Gwilliam and Pte 4221 J Stanley, both Worcester Rgt, using information from a native African rode out four miles to a farm to recover hidden dynamite. They successfully dug up the dynamite, on their return they were attacked by 30 Boers but held them off by fring and retreating until they regained their lines. Both men were promoted Corporal, Gwilliam was additionally awarded the DCM. It was the location of both white and black concentration refugee camps. A further DCM was awarded to Col-Sgt A Knight, Worcester Rgt, "For general good service whilst serving with the local mounted infantry, Heilbron 1901-02" HMG I p.49, III pp.67, 114, 135 and 476 (map no.38),IV pp.329 and 669 (map no.64); Warwick p.154;Cd.819;Rudolf
Event source SAFF
Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
Category Military Service & Conflict
Subcategory Boer Wars
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: rob carman

Penny Norfolks - who or what? 2 years 11 months ago #76391

• rob carman
Thank you Mike for the 22 Bearer Coy clue.

A free BNA search for 22 Bearer Coy generates hits that suggests the RAMC unit was from Norfolk with possibly over 60 Volunteers. This was on top of the bearers that went with the Norfolk Regt's Vol Service Company.

I have wondered for several years how Pte Ulph was both a Volunteer and in the RAMC. Not any longer.

Rob.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds