Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is it possible to trace Boer War Records to see if my Grandfather served 3 years 1 month ago #74954

• agnes13
  • agnes13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The family state my grandfather served in Boer War but we have no proof of this . He served in WW1 and is buried in Etaples France . He enlisted in 8th Battalion East Lancs Regiment and was immediately given the Rank of Sergeant which makes me think he definitely had previous military service. He told so many lies about his age so he could have been born 1877 to 1884 in Bradford Yorkshire . I cannot find him listed on UK census for 1881, 1891, and 1901 and he died 5th Sep 1915. . Do you think it is possible to try and trace him through Boer War Records or is this too hard a case to prove ? Thank you so much for allowing me to join this forum and also thanking you in advance for any help given.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is it possible to trace Boer War Records to see if my Grandfather served 3 years 1 month ago #74955

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Agnes13
Welcome to the Forum. We frequently field queries such as yours; sometimes we can help and sometimes not. Your GF's full name would be a prerequisite - along with any details of when/where he served 1899-1902 and any unit details. I realise that family memories fade but it would help if you could supply as much info as possible.
Regards
IL.

Is it possible to trace Boer War Records to see if my Grandfather served 3 years 1 month ago #74956

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I don't see a reason why not, either way, what are the details, number, rank and full name you have for him in 1915?

agnes13 wrote: The family state my grandfather served in Boer War but we have no proof of this . He served in WW1 and is buried in Etaples France . He enlisted in 8th Battalion East Lancs Regiment and was immediately given the Rank of Sergeant which makes me think he definitely had previous military service. He told so many lies about his age so he could have been born 1877 to 1884 in Bradford Yorkshire . I cannot find him listed on UK census for 1881, 1891, and 1901 and he died 5th Sep 1915. . Do you think it is possible to try and trace him through Boer War Records or is this too hard a case to prove ? Thank you so much for allowing me to join this forum and also thanking you in advance for any help given.

The following user(s) said Thank You: agnes13

Is it possible to trace Boer War Records to see if my Grandfather served 3 years 1 month ago #74957

• agnes13
  • agnes13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Frank and Linney1 for your replies. My Grandfather's name was James Newsome Skelly . His rank was Sergeant. East Lancs 8th Battalion. His service number was 14951. He enlisted for WW1 in Liverpool where he was living and he married my grandmother in Liverpool but he was born in Bradford Yorkshire. As soon as he enlisted he was given the rank of Sergeant which makes me think he must have had previous army experience . Oral family history states he fought in the Boer War but we have no written proof. I have applied to MOD for his army records but they state they were destroyed in WW2 enemy action. I even paid an army researcher to check the WW1 Burnt Documents to look for my grandfather to no avail. I am curious to see if there is a chance he did actually serve in Boer War . I have visited his grave in Etaples France . He died Sep 1915.

Is it possible to trace Boer War Records to see if my Grandfather served 3 years 1 month ago #74958

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hello Agnes13
I have had a quick look on Ancestry for your Grandfather and his possible connection to the Boer War. There were about 20 J Skelly's that served in South Africa. No J N Skelly on first trawl of information unfortunately and no mention of the East Lancashire's. However someone on the forum might be able to dig deeper. The only information I could find regarding your Grandfather pertains to his service in WW1. His medal roll is there and his Army register of soldiers effects plus a pension ledger and brief mention of his death from wounds on the 6th of September 1915. It is still possible he may have served in the Boer War but may have been in another regiment. When I get time I will have a look at all the Skelly's mentioned individualy on the medal rolls and check to see if there is anything resembling J.N .Skelly.
Regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Is it possible to trace Boer War Records to see if my Grandfather served 3 years 1 month ago #74959

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: agnes13

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.597 seconds