Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

G en F v d Merwe 27th Feb 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74830

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Fiona,

The email address sent by Rory has been forwarded to you from my email address.

Please let us know how this develops.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

G en F v d Merwe 27th Feb 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74833

• Fo Millais
  • Fo Millais's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Everyone on this website has been so helpful, I cant thank you enough. Yesterday I had the little violin in my hand and then within 24 hours I am emailing the person who just might be a descendant of it's maker which is just so amazing!
I will of course keep you posted as to how I get on and wouldn't it be amazing if I could send it back to the family? Is it possible to find out where the Van Der Merwes were held as prisoners as I am assuming that it was my great grandfather who guarded them? I hope he was given the violin and didn't just take it!
Yours
Fiona

G en F v d Merwe 27th Feb 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74834

• Fo Millais
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David, I see you are from Dorset. I don't suppose you can help me with something else?! I have two medals belonging to a Lteut HBM Mansel-Pleydell from 1882, but once again I have no idea why they have ended up with the Joicey family [my maiden name] in Northumberland! I googled the name and I think he was from Dorset ,died on 22/2/1886 and was a Royal Fusilier. I found a Mansel-Pleydell Trust and so have emailed the secretary, but as yet have heard nothing back.
Just a long shot, but being interested in military history and coming from Dorset I thought you might be able to solve another mystery.
Yours
Fiona

G en F v d Merwe 27th Feb 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74835

• Fo Millais
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I'm sorry, it's me again! I have found another medal ...... the last one, other than my Father's medals I think! Why I'm emailing you yet again is that it is almost identical to the one you have in your photo - Black and white ribbon, black cross with a crown at the top, 1914 at the bottom and W in the middle. Unlike the violin and the other medals, I have no name attached to it, only a red leather box. Any ideas as to what it is?
Ok I'll leave you in peace now and I won't turn out any more cupboards, but would love to hear if you know what it is.
Thank you again,
Fiona

G en F v d Merwe 27th Feb 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74837

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Fiona,

Happy to try to help. Could you upload photos of these items please? Alternatively, you can email them to me.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

G en F v d Merwe 27th Feb 1900 3 years 1 month ago #74838

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Fiona,

There is a list of prisoners here: www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/8...oer-prisoners-of-war

Adding 'van der merwe' to the surname search box and 'Paardeberg' to the location search box gives several possible matches. The problem is that most forenames consist of two words.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds