Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New member - looking for info. about a death in Germiston in 1898. 3 years 3 months ago #74310

• nat75sch
  • nat75sch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello (and I hope I am doing this correctly!)
I've just come across this site and forum, and wonder if anyone has some knowledge to share!

I am researching my family history I have come across an ancestor whose gravestone inscription reads:
Thomas Holloway, who died at Germiston, S. Africa,
March 12th. 1898, Aged 27 years.

Thomas was born in Welshpool, Montgomeryshire, Wales and baptised 22 May 1870. I have found him with his family in the census' of 1871, 1881 and 1891, his parents being Edward and Mary Ann Holloway. They were a farming family in rural mid-Wales.
I can't find anything about Thomas joining the military. His death does not seem have been registered in the UK, (unless military deaths are listed separately?)

I am assuming Edward was in the military and in South Africa in relation to the Second Boer War but all the record sets I can find seem to cover 1899-1902, but he died in early 1898. The First Boer War would seem to be far too early for him still to be there?

I would appreciate any ideas or insight that anyone may have, to help me find out more about Thomas Holloway in Germiston.

Many thanks,
Natalie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member - looking for info. about a death in Germiston in 1898. 3 years 3 months ago #74312

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303
I looked in a couple of Montgomeryshire newspapers of the time, but only found one mention of a Thomas Holloway, as a farmer, of Chirbury, in 1896. A South African newspaper covering Germiston might be a better bet.

New member - looking for info. about a death in Germiston in 1898. 3 years 3 months ago #74315

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Natalie,

Welcome to the forum.
It could be possible he was with the military, some regiments were in South Africa before 1899 but without any detail of a possible regiment or service number it will be difficult to find details. I did search the Germiston grave web page (Primrose Cemetery) but could not find a Thomas Hollaway on register. He could be buried in another cemetery. Germiston was a gold prospecter haven in 1887 it was in the East Rand region of Gauteng and along with Gauteng was one of the worlds largest gold producers in the world at that time. It may be possible he went out to South Africa to prospect for gold. There are members on the forum who reside in S. A. so they may be able to help with the military angle or the civilian one. Lets hope someone can help shine a light on Thomas and his time in South Africa and how he may of died. If you have any more detail you can share pertaining to Thomas it would be appreciated and may help to solve your request.
best regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

New member - looking for info. about a death in Germiston in 1898. 3 years 3 months ago #74318

• nat75sch
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you very much for checking. I imagine that would be a relative of his, as the family were from Chirbury. I will see what I can find for South African newspapers.

New member - looking for info. about a death in Germiston in 1898. 3 years 3 months ago #74321

• nat75sch
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply.
Sadly I know nothing more of this young man other than finding his baptism and tracking him though the census records to 1891. And then finding the transcription of the grave inscription.
I don't know if he was in the military, it was the only reason I could think that he would have died so far from home.
I shall read up a bit more about the gold prospecting side of things.

He seems likely, through DNA matches, to be the father of an illegitimate aunt born in the late 19th century, so perhaps he headed off in search of gold and away from his responsibilities!

Thanks,
Natalie

New member - looking for info. about a death in Germiston in 1898. 3 years 3 months ago #74322

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
According to a photo of his gravestone ( www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=3508452 ), Thomas' parents lived in Dudston Chirbury, England.

There were no British regiments in the South African Republic in 1898, which was still peacetime. The war began in October 1899, and the British invasion of the republic began in May/June 1900. Whatever Thomas was doing in the SAR would have been civilian, quite possibly connected with the mining industry.

The Genealogical Society of SA may be able to help track down Thomas' death certificate, and/or notices in local newspapers. You could contact them through their website ( www.eggsa.org/index.php/en/about-us ).
Regards
Arthur

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds