Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Information on Kmdt . / Vechtgeneraal Christiaan Fourie? 3 years 5 months ago #72377

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 760
Hi
I am after a little information about Gen C E Fourie, and his role on the Natal front.
For example, during the battle of Tabanyama, which sector and which commandos did he command? Did he command OVS commandos or a mixed force? Was he 2nd in command to Louis Botha, west of Spioenkop?
and so on...
many thanks in anticipation
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Information on Kmdt . / Vechtgeneraal Christiaan Fourie? 3 years 5 months ago #72394

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Rob,

I have found some information on Genl. C. E. Fourie on pg 31, in the reference "Die Boere Offisiere 1899 - 1902" by Jacques Malan. It is in Afrikaans so I will make an attempt to translate it and post a follow up, shortly.
Regards

Gavin

Information on Kmdt . / Vechtgeneraal Christiaan Fourie? 3 years 5 months ago #72395

• gavmedals
  • Thank you received: 55
As promised here is a translation of the bio that i found. I am not a linguist so apologies if the sentences seem somewhat telegram-matic, but it is a fairly direct representation:

Christiaan Ernst Fourie was born on 17 June 1858 in Lydenburg.
He participated in a number of field campaigns against indigenous tribes including, but not limited to, Sekhukhune in 1876 and Nyabela in 1885.
He relocated to the Middelburg district in the Transvaal, settling on a farm called Blesbokfontein in 1888. In 1890, he served on the commission that went out to Mashonaland. In 1896 he is appointed as Veldkornet of the Olifantsrivier area, in his home district. A year later, he is elected to the position of Commandant and is also appointed as the Native Commissioner.
In Oct 1899, under the leadership of General Lukas Meyer, he participated in the Natal offensives. He seems to have been active in a number of areas in the Boer War, some of the battles that he participated in include Dundee, Ladysmith, Modder River and various along the Tugela river. After the Relief of Ladysmith, he fought with the Heidelbergers in the Orange Free State.
He is promoted to Combat General (“veggeneraal”) on 13 December 1899. In March 1901, he was betrayed and was captured by the British. On the 11th June 1901, he managed to escape from his captors’ in the Middelburg (Transvaal) are and continued to fight until the end of the Boer War.
In 1938, at the age of 80, he led the horse commando in Middelburg on parade during the 100-year Great Trek Commeration Festival.
General C.E. Fourie passed away on the 15 August 1943, in Pietersburg (now called Polokwane)

I am sure there are others that will have significantly more information on him, but this is a start. Also include an image of General Fourie.
Regards

Gavin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D

Information on Kmdt . / Vechtgeneraal Christiaan Fourie? 3 years 5 months ago #72399

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2141
A very commendable effort Gavin. Well done and thank you.

Information on Kmdt . / Vechtgeneraal Christiaan Fourie? 3 years 5 months ago #72401

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 760
Baie dankie, Gavin.
I am trying to pinpoint the heroic episode of Slegtkamp, de Roos and Hindon on 20th January 1900 on the huge upper Tugela battlefeld.
The 3 scouts were a short distance in front of Gen Fourie's lines, so if I knew what commando he led at that time it would help me be more certain.
thanks again
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Information on Kmdt . / Vechtgeneraal Christiaan Fourie? 3 years 5 months ago #72415

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
Photos related to the incident.

The folded image from B&W Budget is the one Slegtkamp permanently kept in his wallet: according to his son when he gave me the item
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Rob D

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.236 seconds