• Page:

TOPIC:

Help with information about a medal 4 years 2 months ago #67495

• Suray
  • Suray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I found this site after finding a war medal from the Boer War which I think belongs to my great grandmothers brother.Unfortunately I know nothing about the war or what the medal was awarded for.I am hoping that someone on the site may be able to help me find out any information, or point me in the right direction in my search for information.
The details I have from the medal are
244 TPR J Lyon Driscolls SCTS
South Africa 1901
Transvaal
Orange Free State

Can anyone provide any history about the person and the medal they received

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with information about a medal 4 years 2 months ago #67497

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Suray,

Welcome to the forum,

Your ggu served in Driscoll's Scouts. There is information on that unit here: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...329-driscolls-scouts

From the medal roll, the clasps on his medal are confirmed. A note says he also served in the South Rhodesia Volunteers. Have a look at this page for information on the SRV: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...rhodesian-volunteers

The nominal roll available on the link above says James served in Driscoll's Scouts between 18 February and 30 November 1901. There is another Lyon on the roll, James Harper, who may be related?

It looks like James Harper Lyon served in the Rhodesia Regiment, 26 February to 18 October 1900, earning the clasps Rhodesia and Relief of Mafeking (WO100/266p275 refers) and also in two other units.

I cannot trace his service in the SRVs.
Dr David Biggins

Help with information about a medal 4 years 2 months ago #67498

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I have made a note to look for his attestation papers when I next visit the National Archives.
Dr David Biggins

Help with information about a medal 4 years 2 months ago #67513

• Suray
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for the information you have provided.When I looked at the information I had found on the family 3 brothers all had a first name beginning with the letter J so to have a first name now is great.I will be looking at the articles you have mentioned with great interest and finding out about my ancestor and the conflict he was part of.

Help with information about a medal 3 years 10 months ago #69158

• Suray
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have been looking on Ancestry to see if I could find the signing up papers for James Lyon.I do not seem to be having much luck and was wondering if someone could give me a few hints that may help.I understand that some WW1 records were destroyed by fire and was wondering if the records for the Anglo Boer war were stored in a similar place and maybe were also destroyed.Thank you

Help with information about a medal 3 years 7 months ago #71433

• Suray
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I have just seen on another persons introduction copies of service records and was wondering how I could access the same records for James Lyon.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds