• Page:

TOPIC:

Canadan Scouts 4 years 7 months ago #65168

• Roscoe
  • Roscoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Anthony Ross Canadan Scouts, Many thanks to every one that replied, I am new to this and I am most sorry to have waisted any ones time, I did not finish what I actually wanted to post due to an interuption and had typed my name by mistake. I hope this may be interesting for comment and would think these would be rare, My Grandfather was Major Charles Ross DSO
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Canadan Scouts 4 years 7 months ago #65169

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Sorry cannot find any Anthony Ross on the Canadian Scouts nominal roll.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roscoe

Canadan Scouts 4 years 7 months ago #65173

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
On the roll for the Canadian Mounted Rifles (WO100/287p153) is 262 Private A Ross. QSA (CC, OFS, Joh DH).

The comments say he also served with the Canadian Scouts.
Dr David Biggins

Canadan Scouts 4 years 7 months ago #65174

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Perhaps careful look throughout W0126/16-17 would be the way to go.

Roscoe wrote: Anthony Ross Canadan Scouts

Canadan Scouts 4 years 7 months ago #65179

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Anthony......

Your further post now makes a lot of sense LOL..... Just had to wait a while.....

From the Regimental History Book of The Canadian Scouts......

ROSS, CHARLES JOSEPH, RANK-Major / NATIONALITY Canadian - Australian / SERVICE June 1st 1900 to May 31st 1902 / PREVIOUS SERVICE – United States Army, North West Mounted Police, Roberts Horse, Mounted Infantry Scouts and in WW1 / Q.S.A. BARS – Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Relief of Kimberly / OTHER AWARDS – Distinguished Service Order

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Canadan Scouts 4 years 7 months ago #65180

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Here is his entry from the DSO book:

ROSS, CHARLES, Lieutenant, was born at Orange, New South Wales, the son of Scotch parents. He was educated at Santa Clara College, California, and became a Scout in the USA Service (Ness Percy, Indian War, 1877; Bannock, Indian War, 1878; Ute, Indian War, 1879). He was Chief of Scouts for Colonel Otter's Column in the North-Western Rebellion, Canada, in 1885, and was several times mentioned in Despatches. He had eight years' service in the North-West Mounted Police, Canada. In the South African War he served in Roberts's Horse as Lieutenant from January to April 1900, and was three times mentioned in Despatches. He served under General Hutton in command of the 1st MI Scouts from May to November 1900. Sir A Conan Doyle describes (page 529) in 'The Great Boer War' the campaign of January - April 1902. He tells us of a drive, sweeping backwards towards the Heilbron-Wolvehoek line, which ended in the total capture of 147 of the enemy, who were picked out of holes, retrieved from amid the reeds of the river, called down out of trees, or otherwise collected. So thorough was the operation, that it is recorded that the angle which formed the apex of the drive was one drove of game upon the last day, all the many types of antelope which form one of the characteristics and charms of the country having been herded into it. More important even than the results of the drive was the discovery of one of De Wet's arsenals in a cave in the Vrede district. Half-way down a precipitous krantz, with its mouth covered by creepers, no writer of romance could have imagined a more fitting headquarters for a guerrilla chief. The find was made by Ross's Canadian Scouts, who celebrated Dominion Day by this most useful achievement. Forty wagon-loads of ammunition and supplies were taken out of the cave". He was mentioned in Despatches, and for his services at Sanna's Post was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 19 April 1901]: "Charles Ross, Lieutenant, Roberts's Horse. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". The Insignia were presented to him by the Duke of Cornwall and York 14 August 1901. He was subsequently promoted to Major. Major Ross married, in 1889, Nellie Buchanan, a Canadian lady of Scotch descent.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds