Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pvt William Garnett 5 years 2 months ago #62525

• Stevlyn
  • Stevlyn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
New member researching the history of Pvt William Garnett, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, service no. 8145 who died in Bloemfontein on 22 April 1900 of enteric fever. Would appear to have been batman to Captain Heathcote Amory. Known information is attached so any additional information appreciated.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pvt William Garnett 5 years 2 months ago #62534

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Stevlyn,

That's very comprehensive information.

Here is the QSA roll from WO100/232p 62 and 164 showing his entitlement to a QSA with the 2 clasps you mention in his biography. He missed the early engagements of the Coldstream Guards possibly due to his batman duties?

As he died early on in the War, he would not have been entitled to the KSA. The QSA was his only entitlement.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Pvt William Garnett 5 years 2 months ago #62535

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I am looking for Captain Heathcote Amory. I cannot locate him. Are you certain of this name?
Dr David Biggins

Pvt William Garnett 5 years 2 months ago #62537

• Stevlyn
  • Stevlyn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David. Thanks for your response and the information. Not having military knowledge, could you guide me on what the duties of a batman at that time would have been. I gather from your information that he would not normally have been part of the front line fighting. Regarding Captain Heathcote Amory, my understanding is that William Garnett had worked for him in private life and that was the reason he signed up. I am working with Garnett's great grandson in the UK on this research and I believe that he has more information on this which I will post when I get it. Stewart Gibson

Pvt William Garnett 5 years 2 months ago #62539

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Stewart,

A batman was a serving soldier who acted as a servant (using the language of the time) for an officer. The batman would have looked after the officer during the campaign.

There is a Captain on the roll of the Coldstream Guards who may be linked to William Garnett, partly because he has similar clasp entitlement (but including Belmont). As a 'Hon', his father was an earl, viscount or baron, so probably someone who might be in need of the services provided by a batman.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Pvt William Garnett 5 years 2 months ago #62540

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From ThePeerage.com:

Children of Gilbert Henry Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby, 1st Earl of Ancaster and Lady Evelyn Elizabeth Gordon

Gilbert Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby, 2nd Earl of Ancaster b. 20 Jul 1867, d. 19 Sep 1951
Brig.-Gen. Hon. Charles Strathavon Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby b. 18 May 1870, d. 15 Dec 1949
Lt.-Col. Hon. Claud Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby b. 15 Oct 1872, d. 24 Feb 1950
Lady Mary Adelaide Heathcote-Drummond b. 25 Apr 1878, d. 23 May 1960
Lt.-Cdr. Hon. Peter Robert Willoughby b. 2 Nov 1885, d. 1 Nov 1914

The person on the medal roll is possible son 2 or 3? The initial does look to be E to me though.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds