Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58292

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
My pleasure.
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58299

• Jackettquest
  • Jackettquest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am enjoying re-reading this (many times!). I am delighted to have all the extra facts about how he enlisted. I do very much hope you do, indeed, look for his discharge papers when next you are at the Archives, if you have time. It's such a kind offer. (I wonder if it was very costly to buy a son out, and how often it happened - but I don't suppose the discharge papers show things such as that, do they.) Finally, if you could possibly point me in a direction to find out if he was hospitalised at some point, if such records exist, I'd be very grateful. But please ignore this request if busy. Either way, I remain very grateful for your information. Many thanks indeed, Adrian - and very kind regards - Rhona

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58301

• capepolice
Hello Rhona,

There are a dozen or so very large registers in the Archives for CP Dist 1 and CP Dist 2. These show promotions, reductions, pay issues, leave and sick leave etc as well as personal information similar to what I have already given. These are separate to the attestation papers. and normally show discharge date and if you are very lucky there will be a discharge certificate included. The search takes a bit of time as the registers are very large and each has approx. 1500 pages.

I will have a look next time in but that will not be this coming week as I am out of the Province on business.

Regards
Adrian

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58303

• Jackettquest
  • Jackettquest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Adrian,

Again, thank you very much indeed for any time you can give to this when next visiting the Archives. Even knowing where to look, is a master stroke, and, from what you say, it's still a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack! If anything comes up, brilliant, but either way, I'm very grateful to you for bothering to answer, and for giving me so much information, already. Very best wishes - Rhona

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58306

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Five shillings a day was, very much, the "going" rate, but, it is misleading to actually compare the two organisations, the money to pay those wage bills, came from two different pots, Milner and his brand new Provisional Administration, hit the exchequer, here in Great Britain, very hard indeed and it could be absolutely no surprise whatsoever to the War Office that HMG wanted to bring matters to a close, sooner, rather than later.

BereniceUK wrote:

capepolice wrote: He was recruited at 7/ per diem. The Cape Police recruited many men from the UK and Australia etc via their recruiting agents.

7/- a day was a good rate. Was the Cape Police more elite than the South African Constabulary?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackettquest

Cape Police 5 years 11 months ago #58464

• capepolice
Hi Rhona,

Please sent me your email address re Jackett.

Many Thanks
Adrian

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds