TOPIC:

Boer War names 6 years 6 months ago #55638

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Sgt Far R.P. Williams

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War names 6 years 6 months ago #55640

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Tpr C.E. Kelly buried in Klerksdorp Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Boer War names 2 years 5 months ago #79279

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Farrier Sergeant Ralph Paynter Williams is also commemorated in Velfrey Lampeter Church in Pembrokeshire & on the Boer War Memorial in the main square in Carmarthen. He was born on 13th December 1879 in Pembroke and at the time of his death his father was the Rector at Velfrey Lampeter. In the church there is a stained glass window dedicated to him with a brass plaque underneath telling you something of his death and when he died.

The question is exactly when did he die? Above it says 23rd August 1900 and this is the date given in the Welsh War Memorial Project write-ups on the Velfrey Lampeter & Carmarthen Memorials. However, if you visit Velfrey Lampeter Church as I did on 11th July 2018 the window and the plaque underneath tell you he died on 25th August 1900. I have just downloaded his Boer War service record and that also tells me he died on 25th August 1900. Think I will go with the three contemporary sources unless anybody gives me a good reason not to.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Boer War names 2 years 5 months ago #79282

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2297
Lampeter Velfrey Church is on my list of places to be visited one day. I see that Wendy hasn't visited the site since her only post over 4 years ago, but here's a press report of R.P.W.'s death.

...."On the 25th of August the column moved out at eight a.m. to locate a large commando of the enemy which were in the neighbourhood. About 11.30 a.m. they found the enemy in a very strong position, and it was decided to postpone the attack till the next day, when General Bruce Hamilton would have joined them. As there were some farmhouses occupied by the enemy, it was decided to destroy these, and Farrier-sergeant Williams went with Lieutenant Jones's section to do this. Having completed their object they fell in with another section of the Pembroke Yeomanry who were going to destroy a farmhouse on a plain between the main body of Colonel White's force and the Boer laager. When they entered the plain the enemy opened fire on them from the farmhouse and two small houses, while about twenty Boers tried to occupy a kopje in their rear. Seeing this the men were ordered to retire, and all got clear away except Lieutenant Jones and two of his men, who continued firing while the others retired. Farrier-sergeant Williams rode out last but one. When they had got clear of the enemy someone called out "We can't leave the lieutenant," and with this Williams turned his horse, which was dead beat, and rushed back. By this time about 250 Boers on fresh horses were galloping up the plain, and were about 300 yards off. Still on he went, until he and those with him had found Lieutenant Jones, but as they returned Williams was instantaneously killed by a bullet that passed through his brain. At the same time Lieutenant Jones's horse was shot, but one of the men who had gone back with Williams, named Atkinson, caught Williams's horse and gave it to Lieutenant Jones, who was then wounded by a bullet in the arm. The main body now came up, and having fired a few shells the enemy retired. The enemy looted Williams's body. He was buried in Ventersburg Cemetery on the 26th of August. Before leaving Ventersburg all the company gave him a parting salute, and erected a wooden cross over the grave of their comrade."
Evening Express, 18th January 1901
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Boer War names 1 year 10 months ago #83740

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Ventersburg 25th August 1900

Besides Smethwickians I am making a study of the 30th Company (Pembrokeshire) 9th (Welsh) Battalion Imperial Yeomanry and have compiled a database of about 300 men.

Based on my database the Atkinson mentioned in the article above found by Berenice was Trooper 4099 Sydney Arnold Atkinson.

His service records show he was 32 years of age when he enlisted in the Pembrokeshire Imperial Yeomanry but had previously served in the 14th Hussars being “discharged under the Employment Act”. He enlisted in Haverfordwest on 2nd March 1900 and on 14th March 1900 embarked with the rest of the Company on the SS Hilarius bound for SA.

He was born in Huntingdon and gave a London address for his next of kin (wife or mother) – so why the Pembrokeshire IY is a bit of mystery.

The most interesting part of his service records are his medals – QSAM with Cape Colony, Orange Free State & SA 1901 clasps and the Distinguished Conduct Medal. The DCM is confirmed by the London Gazette of 19th April 1901 So was he awarded the DCM for his actions on 25th August 1900 at Ventersburg.

Newspapers also show 5 members of the Company were reported missing at Ventersburg on 25th August 1900. This is confirmed by their service records and underneath is written “Released”. So presumably for a short while they were technically PoW’s. The five were:
Private 4141 G E Holloway
Private 4144 G H Thomas
Private 4154 H R Richard
Private 4173 M Weidhofft
Private 4185 A Miller

A Public Family Tree on Ancestry offers up the following photograph for Mark Weidhofft:

There is a problem with the photo, according to the Company medal rolls he should only be showing 3 clasps. The sergeant’s stripes could be associated with his subsequent WW1 service.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.055 seconds