Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 2 months ago #45325

• Waldrons Scouts
  • Waldrons Scouts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Below is a partial list of members of a little known unit called Waldons / Waldrons Scouts.
I intend to write a small history and record for those interested, Museums etc, and would appreciate any information, family history,photos or documents etc so I can hopefully, tell a little more about these men
. The unit only existed for a few months and suffered many casualties in an action at Klip River on the OFS / Eastern Transvaal border in Nov 1901. It was disbanded early in 1902 and many Scouts went on to serve in other units.

WALDON Wm Hugh Capt Aust (Later National Scouts) Killed car accident OFS 1935 WIA ?
SAMSON Charles J Lt ? Sth Africa ?

AITKEN John UK also IBC & PLH
BALMAIN Harry
BRAY M. WIA 12 Nov 1901
CASHMAN James NZ Later Sgt Steinaeckers Horse KIA 1902
DUFFY Patrick Ireland
ELGY William Albert E UK Died of disease 28 Jan 1902
GATES Harry Aust Mudgee ?
GILLIES Neil Patrick Aust Later Sgt AIF KIA Gallipoli 1915
JENNINGS Robert Percy UK
KEARNS John Vincent Aust KIA 12 Nov 1901 (Memorial on Royal Parade Brunswick Melbourne)
LIGHTBODY John Francis L Aust Died Durban Natal 1903 (Memorial on Parents Grave at Drik Drik Victoria)
LINDSAY Alan C UK
LUFFMAN Bertrand Evelyn UK WIA 12 Nov 1901 Later Sgt AIF DOW Gallipoli 1915
MATHIESON David UK
NICHOLSON T S UK (Medals auctioned in UK)
PAIN Norman Francis H UK
POCOCK Roger UK / Can Founder of Legion of Frontiersmen
ROBSON George NZ WIA 12 Nov 1901
ROWE George H NZ DOW 4 Jan 1902
SIMS A WIA 12 Nov 1901
TAYLOUR Clifford Samuel H UK
TOPPIN Robert Miels Pilgrim UK DOW 12 Jan 1902
WARREN J NZ WIA 12 Nov 1901

Any assistance, information and help much appreciated.
Gary Bartlett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 6 years 1 month ago #57798

• Katel55
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Gary,
My Great-Uncle George Rowe was a member of Waldon’s Scouts. He died of wounds in January 1902. I have just recently discovered this site and your posting. I am interested in finding out how he came to be part of this group & whether it was because he was not accepted into other contingents from New Zealand. George was born in Lawrence, Otago, New Zealand, but later moved with his family to Dunedin, New Zealand. I note that your posting is some years old now & you may not require further information, however, I thought it was worth a try as I am trying to convince some local historians In New Zealand, that my gr-Uncle really did head off to South Africa as his name does not appear on any servicemen’s listings here. II have a photo of him, & copies of newspaper articles about the event he was involved in when he sustained the wounds that eventually led to his death.
Thanks, Catherine

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 6 years 1 month ago #57800

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
I did not anything about the Legion of Frontiersman. There is an interesting history here: samilitaryhistory.org/vol042tc.html
Dr David Biggins

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 6 years 1 month ago #57809

• Waldrons Scouts
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Good afternoon Catherine,

My connection is John Lightbody who died of disease in 1903.

I have quite a bit of information that might be of some help. No British Army file exists so I have had to use many sources to ID and tell the story of Waldons/Waldrons Scouts. From my research (actual name of CO is Waldon) I found quite a few Anglo-Boer War soldiers were (1) already working in South Africa at the outbreak of the war eg Captain Wm Hugh Waldon in the mining industry, and enlisted directly in units raised in South Africa.
(2) were in formal units raised in Aust, NZ UK and served in South Africa, then took their discharge in South Africa, or even returned home, and came back as a civilian, and enlisted in locally raised units like Waldons Scouts
(3) many men during the War , probably for a bit of adventure and Queen/King and empire, made their own way to South Africa and enlisted in locally raised units upon arrival. Mostly short term enlistments , 3-6 months, and quite often in 2-3 or more different units during the war. I have shipping records for John Lightbody and he made his own way in mid 1901, served in Waldons Scouts and then Steinaeckers Horse (Special Squadron).

From memory, something like 16000 served in Australian raised units and it is estimated another 6000 plus found their own way to South Africa to enlist in locally raised units.

George Rowe would have fallen into category (3)

I have a very large file on this unit, too big to attach here (I`ve attached a couple only) so you can contact me at [email protected] and I can arrange to get a copy to you.

I would eventually like to write a little history of Waldons Scouts but having trouble finding the time.

Regards
Gary

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 5 years 7 months ago #60475

• rossc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Gary I do have information on John Vincent Kearns if you are interested and some information on Waldrons Scouts regards Ross Clancy descendant

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 5 years 6 months ago #60800

• Waldrons Scouts
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Ross, Sorry for the delay in replying. My first logon in a month or so, and was very pleased to see your post. John Vincent and his story, and family, has been of great interest to me. I was going through my research recently and thought I might never locate a descendant. I even tried Geelong College to see if they had a photo or records or a family name I could follow up. I moved to Warrnambool from Melbourne a few years ago but had the opportunity to visit his Memorial in Royal Parade, and the family grave in Burwood. I lived off Highbury Rd in Glen Waverley. I`m hoping to include a photo of John (if available) and his family, and his story, in my little history of Waldons Scouts .I have quite a bit of information that I`m pleased to share with Waldons family members. The Scouts were an interesting bunch, ranging from the sons of clergymen like John, through to Army Deserters, Conmen, and some Adventurers, like John Lightbody. I thought about calling it " From Saints to Sinners" but I like a phrase from the units recruiting poster " A few good men required" - might be more fitting. Contact me at [email protected] or 03 55627384
A few samples attached.
Regards
Gary
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.390 seconds