Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Corporal Joseph Leonard Sanderson on St Mary's Nottingham RHR memorial 8 years 10 months ago #41356

• OLD STUBBORN
  • Thank you received: 8
Tony, I still can't understand why he isn't mentioned in any of our histories, I have the roll for all the Sherwood Foresters and Volunteers who set off to South Africa and all the active service company's that followed. I have contacted the regimental archivist and historian to try and discover what's happened and put some more light on this.
7518 Pte G Richards is mentioned and so is 7523 Pte J Lewis.
As far as I can see he didn't sail with the 1st RHR Contingent from Southampton on the "Avondale Castle" on the 24th February 1900 or later with the 2nd Contingent. Its a strange one but something will turn up. Mel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Corporal Joseph Leonard Sanderson on St Mary's Nottingham RHR memorial 8 years 10 months ago #41359

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
The data on FmP is mine, and I'm afraid the reference to SAFF is a typo, I cannot trace any entry for him. Apologies.

His death is a real mystery - no trace as Mel as said. I've checked a number of websites and newspapers online without luck. Perhaps a local library can turn up a newspaper report either for Cpl Sanderson's death or the memorial unveiling.

He is not listed in the book mentioned by Mike - In Memoriam which implies he has no known grave, odd as he died at one of the bigger military hospitals. I am sure there is a memorial at Wynberg, but I don't have the names.

I can only surmise he went out in advance of his comrades, perhaps as an officer's servant?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Corporal Joseph Leonard Sanderson on St Mary's Nottingham RHR memorial 8 years 10 months ago #41430

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2297

(Already posted in Memorial and Monuments here)

Corporal Joseph Leonard Sanderson on St Mary's Nottingham RHR memorial 8 years 10 months ago #41431

• UKTony
  • UKTony's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you, Meurig
Hopefully Mel's approach to the regimental archivist and historian will throw more light on this.
I might be going to Nottingham in October which could be an opportunity to explore the library there for any newspaper reports of his death and,or the unveiling of the memorial in St Mary's Church.
In the meantime if anyone finds any more info, I'd be grateful to hear.
I'm wondering also whether he changed units in S Africa. As I mentioned in previous post, in 1917 when his eldest son got married the marriage certificate referred to him as being a Corporal in the Derby Yeomanry. (Dec'd). Not sure whether Derby Yeomanry is a catch all covering other local volunteer units such as the RHR, but surely if they had known about the RHR memorial in St Mary's they would have given his unit as RHR?
Regards to all
Tony

Corporal Joseph Leonard Sanderson on St Mary's Nottingham RHR memorial 8 years 10 months ago #41432

• UKTony
  • UKTony's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for this Berenice. I saw the memorial myself for the first time last year. Smaller than the pictures suggest but handsome nonetheless.
Regards
Tony

Corporal Joseph Leonard Sanderson on St Mary's Nottingham RHR memorial 8 years 10 months ago #41433

• OLD STUBBORN
  • Thank you received: 8
Still awaiting a reply from the RHQ in Nottingham, fingers crossed. Mel.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds