• Thank you received: 45

jpwr wrote: Hi Mark
many thanks for the last post.
my great grandfather's details are...
3049 Philip Blake
he enlisted into the 1st btn. South Wales Borderers 25/11/1889
and served in Egypt,where he trained for the Mounted Infantry [cairo 1/10/94]
and had a short time in Gibralta before transferring to the reserve in 1896
he then got recalled and posted to the 2nd btn. 18/12/1899.for the duration of the Boer War.
He was awarded the Queen's S.A. with clasps for Paardeberg,Driefontein,Johannesburg and relief of Kimberly
also the King's S.A.
he also spent a bit of time in prison for sleeping at his post whilst on sentry.
what i am looking to get is more details on the M.I. company he served with and their role during the war ,absolutely anything rely that i can collate into a scrap book type scenario
i do know bits more but anything would be great
many thanks
in anticipation
john

Hi John,
I see Meurig's put you on to the regimental history which will give you the bulk of the info needed. I unfortunately don't have a copy of that specific history. Info on what specific companies and individual soldiers did in specific actions during the Boer War can be difficult to come by. Searching through books which cover specific actions can often reward with snippets of info or alert one to papers, letters or diaries that could reveal accounts of men or units in specific actions. There are several books on the forum that you could start with:
www.angloboerwar.com/books
You'll be able to find other books here:
www.archive.org/

Best of luck,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds