Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Hello 12 years 4 months ago #1629

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Jannette

The Anglo-Boer War Register ( www.boerwarregister.com ) shows a number of "A Fenn" of the two where the first name is known there is one 'Arthur Fenn' of the Rand Rifles. No other biographical information is shown.

The Rand Rifles were a very large "town guard" for the Johannesburg area.

There may be an attestation paper for him at the National Archives, London, class WO126.

And ST Fenn of the Southern Rhodesian Volunteers is "Simon Thomas". There are no WO126 attestation papers for this unit; next stop the Archives in Zimbabwe.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hello 12 years 4 months ago #1630

• Janette
  • Janette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
@ Mark - thanks for the info re Ship Norman, does sound like that's my Grandfather Arthur Fenn & his Mother. Arthur Fenn was in the Constabulary No E 538 / 3rd class Trooper /Cape |Garrison Artillery (301Gunner).
I have all the birth details etc as I have been for years doing my Fenn Family Tree going back to mid 1700's.
@ David - Thanks....ST Fenn(Simon Thomas) is Arthur Fenn's Father my G/Grandfather.
@ Meurig - I have got my A Fenn(Arthur Fenn) Attestation Papers. Thanks re Southern Rhodesia info.
It's the info on ST Fenn & what happened to him & his wife that I'm trying to find out as sadly my Mom & her siblings grew up in an Orphanage in Dbn & does not know any of her Father & Grandparents history.
Will seek someone to do research for me in Zimbabwe.
Many thanks to all for the replies.
Regards
Janette

Re: Hello 12 years 4 months ago #1632

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Jannette,

Looking at the QSA roll for the South Rhodesian Volunteers I noticed several pages noting issue dates following the actual roll. It shows that S T Fenn's QSA was issued in Bulawayo on 6 March 1903. On the actual roll his name is on the page is marked "South Rhodesian Volunteers, Western Division, Armoured Trains" so I guess he worked on armoured trains.

I see looking at the roll for Arthur Fenn that he received the QSA with Cape Colony and OFS clasps and then the KSA with South Africa 1901 & 1902 clasps.

All the best with your research,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds