TOPIC:

Hello 9 years 2 weeks ago #26733

• Ed Williamson
  • Ed Williamson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the prompt replies.
The reference in djb's post #26717 is very convincing, because Harry came from Netheravon (sic "Netherabon" in the link) and several of his family still live there.
This is his grave in Alexandria - www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=1832709
with no reference to his DCM.

I'm sorry to seem such a useless wimp, but can I ask for guidance on how to access the record mentioned in djb's post ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello 9 years 2 weeks ago #26743

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Ed,

Sorry, I should have said.

The records are available for free at the National Archives of for a fee online at FindMyPast. In FMP, you can search the military records and then buy credits to view the record.

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Williamson

Hello 9 years 1 week ago #26804

• Ed Williamson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks again.

The information on his Boer War documents correlates nicely with 1911 Census details to satisfactorily establish that 23289 was definitely the man from Fittleton (next to Netheravon). Additional confirmatory evidence lies in the fact that the family tomb in Netheravon churchyard memorialises him and his two brothers who died in the Great War, and Harry's name is embellished with the post nominal letters for DCM.

Now I have to convince the Commonwealth War Graves Commission that the man buried in Alexandria on 20 August 1915 is one and the same, and is entitled to proper recognition of his gallantry award on his commemoration and headstone.
I have not been able to find WW1 service papers, so I am guessing that his were amongst those burned in the Blitz, but information in "Soldiers Died in the Great War" provides decent corroboration.

There is no doubt about it, really, but it is only right that CWGC should require evidence of an irreproachable standard. We'll have to wait and see what they say when (eventually) they reply to my email.

I was interested to read in the "Imperial Units" section of this site that 7 Bty were heavily involved at Colenso. As I may have stated in an earlier post, Harry was remembered in the village for re-enacting the attempts to save Long's guns. Post ABW Harry was a groom for a local farmer, a man called Notley, and apparently staged the re-enactments in a meadow (still unchanged) between Notley's farm and Fittleton church, so he had access to the nags and the land. I wonder whether Harry, as a Driver, had actually taken an active, up front part in the incident.

One has to assume that he did not mention his prior service when he signed up again in 1914 as a 35 year old married man.

Hello 9 years 1 week ago #26806

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It would certainly be a good night out!

djb wrote: Frank,

What would that equate to in weeks of wages?

Hello 9 years 1 week ago #26809

• Ed Williamson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Frank Kelley wrote: It would certainly be a good night out!

djb wrote: Frank,

What would that equate to in weeks of wages?

I suppose that if you apply the classic "Shilling a Day" then the £20 gratuity was worth about 14 months pay !

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds