Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

unknown soldier 9 years 5 months ago #23419

• 2li0
  • 2li0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Meurig
yes no problem with the naming just like you say another mystery, only thing to do is keep on looking
all the best
PHIL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

unknown soldier 9 years 5 months ago #23424

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
If it's of any help number 1940 joined on 19 March 1886 and 2215 on 11 March 1887 (armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk).

There is a J Timperley of the 2nd Battalion on the Shrewsbury War Memorial but his number was 5752. Died of enteric on 29 November 1900.
Patrick

unknown soldier 9 years 5 months ago #23440

• 2li0
Patrick
what are the names of 1940 joined on 19 March 1886 and 2215 on 11 March 1887 (armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk).
cheers PHIL

unknown soldier 9 years 5 months ago #23442

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Phil

Sorry,can't help with that. I've only got the information shown on the link I sent. Hoped it might help you narrow things down if you could find a list of men who joined between the dates quoted, one of whom either carried the number 2020 or had a name which might bear some resemblance to the one on your medal. Somebody else might beable to advise on how you might find such a list.I may not have made it clear that men who had a number in the sequence from 1940 to 2215 joined at some time between these two dates

I've looked at medal rolls also, and I don't see anybody apart from J Timperley, whom I referred to already, whose name looked anywhere close. Timperley is a not uncommon name in the Manchester and Cheshire area, and I don't think it would be surprising to find it in a Shropshire Unit, but we seem to be drawing a blank.

Just to add to the fun I can't even find a single person with the name Tunperley in the 1881 census!

Patrick

unknown soldier 9 years 5 months ago #23443

• 2li0
Cheers Patrick
After re looking at your last message the penny dropped, I will spend some time looking at the number sequence as I do have a copy of the medal roll to the Shropshire's, as yet had no luck finding Tunperley

cheers again for your kind help and guidance
PHIL

unknown soldier 9 years 5 months ago #23511

• 2li0
Regards to J. Tumperley after cleaning tne medal rim I found the number 2021 not as I first thought 2020, and another search as found one soldier with this number W. Blaney King's Shropshire L.I., who died in South Africa but no papers to confirm he may have been using this name and his real surname may have Tumperley ?
any thoughts on this is it not unusual for two men having the same number in the same battalion
PHIL

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.693 seconds