Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

John Farquhar MacLennan 9 years 7 months ago #22719

I would like some information on John Farquhar MacLennan who served in the Anglo Boer war. Apparently he gained the Queens Medal but would appreciate some confirmation of that.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Farquhar MacLennan 9 years 7 months ago #22883

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Rosemary,

There are a few possible matches on the Boer War rolls. Do you have any more information on him?
Dr David Biggins

John Farquhar MacLennan 9 years 7 months ago #22884

Thank you. John served with the Gordon Highlanders and is purported to have received the Queens Medal for his service in South Africa in 1899. I am not absolutely sure of his rank at that time but he subsequently became a major during the first world war. He was born in 1864.

Rosemary

John Farquhar MacLennan 9 years 6 months ago #22904

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Rosemary,

In that case, it is probably Sgt MacLennan of the 1st Gordon Highlanders. he earned a QSA (5) CC Paar Drie Joh DH on WO100/204p194. He gained his KSA (2) as QM & Hon Lt on WO100/343p121.

As an officer, you should be able to track him through the Army Lists. For example, the 1902 Hart's Army List says he was promoted to Hon Lt 14 May 1902 and that he was awarded the DCM for his action at the Battle of Belfast.

Documents such as his MIC for the Great War should be in TNA or on FindMyPast. I had a quick look and there are a few J Maclennans.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

John Farquhar MacLennan 9 years 6 months ago #22905

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Rosemary,

This site contains some interesting information: www.lamm.co.uk/2005/PipeTunes.html

Niall Watson, our piper and marshal played some especially apt tunes for the LAMM and writes:

Saturday morning

These were three tunes in 6/8 time:

Major John MacLennan, The Gordon Highlanders composed by Pipe Major George S McLennan of The Gordon Highlanders
The Hills of Glenorchy - composer unknown
The 10th Battalion The Highland Light Infantry Crossing the Rhine composed by Pipe Major Donald Shaw Ramsey.

Major John MacLennan died in the Girls' High School in Aberdeen which does not seem to be a bad place to go to me. He won the Distinguished Conduct Medal whilst RSM of the 1st Battalion The Gordon Highlanders during the Boer War. In 1902 he was appointed Quartermaster. In 1916 whilst serving in France his horse was startled by shell fire and he fell off. The girls school was a miltary hospital and he was evacuated to it but died on the 11th August 1916 - in what was the music room. The composer was his cousin.
Dr David Biggins

John Farquhar MacLennan 9 years 6 months ago #22906

Thanks so much for this information. There is a lot of information about his service during the Great War but not so much about his pre-war service. His death certificate puts down the cause of death as cancer so I would say he had a pre-existing undiagnosed condition prior to falling off the horse. At any rate he had a very distinguished career.

Rosemary

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds