Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New member and I recently discovered some of my Grandfather's history 9 years 8 months ago #22137

• Chris1962
  • Chris1962's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
David,

I spent a couple of hours on 'Find My Past' but have not discovered anything new at all about my grandfather, so another dead end.
At least I know what his medal and clasps are about now.
I would have thought he would have had an army record, detailing his training or conduct in the military and his posting dates etc
Maybe they did not keep records like that that far back.
Whatever I typed in on 'Find My Past' all I got back was the same list
every time as below;

Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902 Transcription

First name(s) John

Last name Cray

Service number 24498

Rank Private

RegimentImperial Yeomanry

Literary references The National Archives WO128. Imperial Yeomanry, Soldiers' Documents, South African War.

Notes The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902

Unit: 26 Imperial Yeomanry Company (Dorset), Rank: Private, Number:24498

Country Great Britain

Record set Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902

Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Record collection Boer Wars

Collections from Great Britain-- Same list whatever record set number I typed in!
I could not find out how to access the supplementary notes and the reference to the 27th Coy though. Thanks for trying though. Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member and I recently discovered some of my Grandfather's history 9 years 8 months ago #22142

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Chris,

That is disappointing.

When you search for John Cray in FMP and see this screen, is the information you have transcribed below what comes back?

Can you see the original document from WO128?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

New member and I recently discovered some of my Grandfather's history 9 years 8 months ago #22152

• Chris1962
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David,

I do see what you just sent me, but when I click on it, I just see the list I copied and pasted earlier. That is all I can see.

Thanks,

Chris

New member and I recently discovered some of my Grandfather's history 9 years 8 months ago #22153

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Chris

The service papers (WO128) are on FmP, the trick is alter your search terms, do not use the Soldier Number but put "*Yeomanry*" in the Regiment box. and you will see "Record Set" "British Army Service Records 1760-1915".

The data you have found I created for FmP to use.

FmP is not perhaps best organised or explained for researchers.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

New member and I recently discovered some of my Grandfather's history 9 years 8 months ago #22157

• Chris1962
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you David and Meurig.

I accessed the records and downloaded his papers thanks to your great help.
I must say it was confusing trying to access the records on 'Find My Past'and without your help I would probably have failed to notice they were there, so I am extremely grateful.
I do not know if I have gained any information useful to your site but you are welcome to use the photographs and postcard if you wish to do so on the site.
I also found out that my Grandfather has named someone on his records as his mother, which was unknown to me previously.

If I find any other material relevant to the Boer War that may be of interest then I will upload it, but my grandfather did not take any photographs himself until he emigrated to Canada in the early 1900's. He then wrote a lot of letters and postcards home to the UK from his Canadian experiences. Unfortunately he did not do this during the Boer War and I only have a few snippets of information and what I have uploaded already.

Thanks again,

Chris

New member and I recently discovered some of my Grandfather's history 9 years 8 months ago #22168

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Thank you Meurig for your help. I am pleased Chris that you persevered and were ultimately successful.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds