TOPIC:

Advice or any info wanted! 9 years 9 months ago #21113

• cazj58
  • cazj58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone,

just joined today as my grandfather served in the Boer War, and am looking for some information on several photos that I have of that period. Am also happy just to show them so that others can enjoy them too- info would be a bonus!

My grandfather signed his papers on 25th December 1899 in Edinburgh and because his speciality was being a chemist, he was to be placed to serve with the RAMC.
I have however, a photo of him in what appears to be regular soldiers uniform, plus rifle,with the 14th W Division RGA in Redoubt,Warrenton, SA in 1900.
Any ideas as to how he ended up in this photo? (see attached)
Grateful for all suggestions.
Thanks,
Caz.

ps-Apologies for the large crack in the pic!
pps- His name was JOHN NAULTY from Dundee, Scotland.....
his name is NOT on your database!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice or any info wanted! 9 years 9 months ago #21129

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
RAMC were often attached to units, to provide services to them. Could this have been his
unit?

Uniforms were all the same, unless you can see badges on the photo you can't tell.

As far as the rifle goes I am not sure if RAMC carried them. They may get in the way but I don't think we can assume RAMC meant non combatant, and having a rifle in hostile territory may have been a good idea.

Ryan
The following user(s) said Thank You: cazj58

Advice or any info wanted! 9 years 9 months ago #21130

• cazj58
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Thanks for that Ryan!

Had just wondered if men that were due to be placed in a 'speciality' corps were often placed with the regulars first, prior to deployment?

I also checked Thomas Packenham's 'The Boer War' book but didnt find any obvious mention of either Redoubt or Warrenton- any idea what/ who were stationed there?

The other main photo i have is of my grandfather (i've attached it below)at the Field Hospital at Krugersdorp 1901; so therefore i'm still unsure what he was doing at Redoubt, Warrenton? Not sure if the spelling of this is correct?

Still @confused.com!

Caz
Attachments:

Advice or any info wanted! 9 years 9 months ago #21232

• cazj58
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Ok folks, have now found Warrenton on the SA map- north of Kimberley.
Anyone have any idea who, what or why they were based there?
Any suggestions welcome- thanks!

Advice or any info wanted! 9 years 7 months ago #22890

• cc
  • Thank you received: 7
Redoubt refers to a "physical fortification," such as a blockhouse."

Here is a link to "Britain's Last Castles [blockhouses]" samilitaryhistory.org/vol106rt.html Scroll down to see a photo of the The Warrenton Railway Bridge Blockhouse.

This link takes you to a GoogleBook that describes a battle at Warrenton: www.gutenberg.org/files/25618/25618-h/25618-h.htm

Weren't these large artillery pieces sometimes referred to as "rifles?" From my limited research the only "six inch [155mm] guns" I could find were Boer weapons, "Big Toms". Maybe this was a captured gun? angloboerwarmuseum.com/Boer55_promo1_june5.html RFA's big gun was 4.7".

Here is a link from the 1900 Journal of the Royal Service Institution, page for Feb 1900, p.339, showing arrival in SA of the 14 Div Field Hospital, and the Departure of RGA 14 S and 17 W.

Could "Bobs" refer to Lord Roberts?

Regards, cc
The following user(s) said Thank You: cazj58

Advice or any info wanted! 9 years 7 months ago #22891

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Caz/cc
Regarding the RAMC carrying arms, if this was done it could only be for the protection of patients, etc. International protocols did - and still do - permit it. In the ABW, I always understood that RAMC officers carried sidearms in the field. Corpsmen and bearers would not carry rifles; I have never seen them so armed in any pics of the period.
As to the gun in Caz's 21113, it appears to me a 4.7" Naval gun on a platform mounting (i.e., no wheels are visible - and if present, they were of such diameter as not to be missed!). I realise that the pic says "6 in. gun in redoubt". I think the caption is incorrect in that respect. The RN did supply a 6" heavy gun along with other, smaller types for the relief of Ladysmith (the seven ton six-incher situated on Gun Hill fired it's 100 lb shell to 18,500y or 10.5 miles). Such a large gun, however, was simply not readily portable. The Naval 4.7" guns were more portable (only requiring 32 oxen to move!) and after the Relief of Ladysmith and Kimberley, they were still used in support of the army until handed over to the RGA on 24th June, 1900. Thereafter the 4.7" guns saw service with the RA until at least December 1901.
Frequently, these large 4.7" guns were given nicknames/catchwords of the day and "bobs" would certainly be a tribute to Lord Roberts.
cc:
The practice of referring to large artillery pieces as "rifles" was adopted by the US military/navy. British artillery was always referred to as "guns". Each of my copies of Treatises on Ammunition for the period leading up to the ABW always refers to them as such.
The Boer "six inch" 155mm guns (Long Toms) were much lighter than the RN six inch jobs; however the Boers destroyed theirs as the ammunition ran out.
Sorry this email is so long. I intended it to be shorter!
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cc

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.636 seconds