• Page:

TOPIC:

new on the forum 9 years 10 months ago #20799

• willy
  • willy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
giday, im in Tauranga new Zealand , my grand father served as a trooper , trooper f h wright 189 in the 1st contingent of the Auckland mounted rifles boer war,

seeing action at Bloemfontein ,relief of Kimberley , paradeberg , driefontein ,and diamond hill, still got his war map with lots of pencilled in x,s on it plus other stuff regarding his time in south Africa he contracted malera while on service

he was born in 1876 in new zealand living to he was about 84

and a blank gold coin about a 1/4 soveron or rand taken I think from the mint at Kimberley, I belive the new zealands where first in there as it is an unstamped gold disk I take it is from the stamping room where the coin was stamped out of the sheet gold then the facers where pressed in by enoughter machine not sure about the truth of this , but I do belive the boers reconed some money went missing , so lol prehapes it was from the stamping room , wink lol , jingling saddle bags , with then col haig who may have been their british officer attached at that time, but maybe no jiggling of saddle bags

as for the war I belive henry said , that the boers where just like them the new Zealanders, I don't think he had any hatered of those that he exchanged rife fire with, sad they where shooting at each other , I don't belive it is good or healthy this thing called shooting at each other

I think henry was one of capt clancys men if that means anything to some one

on other stuff

my grand fathers grand father was major j h wright dso 1st reg madras ift, jh wrights brother in law lt gen john maitland madras horse artilery jh wrights son in law col sir arthur George Hammond corps of guides vc dso my grand fathers 1st cousin major gen v a Hammond corps of guides calvary ww2, can any one find any info on major j h wright his father may have been j h wright a minister of madras around 1820 / 30???

henry nee f h wright trooper 189 in camp before leaving for south Africa

not sure about the hat badge in this photo as to my knowlage they had a new Zealand harrier hawk badge which is what the Auckland rifles had in ww1 but I think the uniform is correct but again this photo is taken in training / selection camp , their issue rifle was the short barrel horse lenfeild 303 that looks right :lol:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new on the forum 9 years 10 months ago #20802

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello willy,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
I have moved your post to a new thread of your own, hope you don't mind.

Regards
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

new on the forum 9 years 10 months ago #20803

• willy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
ok cool by me sorry about the spelling

new on the forum 9 years 10 months ago #20804

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi willy,

Great photo, have added it onto your post.

Paul :)

willy wrote: ok cool by me sorry about the spelling

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

new on the forum 9 years 10 months ago #20805

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Willy.....

I think that you will find that this is called a "Veld Pond" when the Boers had to leave Pretoria in a hurry they took the treasury with them..... This consisted of a large number of blank "Ponds" and 1/2 "Ponds"..... These were used for payment but are still very rare..... Some of them ended up at a place called Pilgrims Rest and were stamped but most were blank.....

Take a look here.....

krugerponds.com/1900-Blank-Pond-With-Rim.html

or

Google "Kruger Blank Pond" you will see a number of articles.....

Still it is quite valuable.....

Mike

willy wrote:
and a blank gold coin about a 1/4 soveron or rand taken I think from the mint at Kimberley, I belive the new zealands where first in there as it is an unstamped gold disk I take it is from the stamping room where the coin was stamped out of the sheet gold then the facers where pressed in by enoughter machine not sure about the truth of this , but I do belive the boers reconed some money went missing , so lol prehapes it was from the stamping room , wink lol , jingling saddle bags , with then col haig who may have been their british officer attached at that time,

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

new on the forum 9 years 10 months ago #20820

• willy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
ok it will be a 1/2 pond then ,its quite small only about the size of a new zealand old coinage 3 pence or a kruger 3 pence ,or maybe an America dime, will have to have a look at it I don't think it has a rim or scrapings on it I haven't looked at it for years ,
so mit be a 1900 forgery I have never weighed it mit do :silly:

thanks for that and thanks for putting henrys photo up

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds