Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Taddy's cigarette cards V.C.Heroes 10 years 8 months ago #12650

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank,
I realise how critical the whole of the Platrand ridge was and had it fallen so would Ladysmith, but as Brett said, many people tend to overlook the defence of Caesar's camp by the Manchester's which was equally important to Wagon hill and tend to refer to the whole of the ridge as Wagon hill.
I for one am guilty. :blush:
Also the ILH is of great interest to me, (check the avatar,) but having said that I was also originally a Lancashire lad!

regards, Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Taddy's cigarette cards V.C.Heroes 10 years 8 months ago #12661

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Brett,
And thank you for that interesting information, seems like Taddy's were a little ahead of there selves!

Paul :)

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

Thank you for showing your card collection. You might be interested to know that the one for Evans, Natal Mounted Rifles, was an error. Here is an extract from the official NMR history:
"Evans action was greatly applauded in Ladysmith. It is known that his name had been submitted for an award and so confident was the general feeling that he would be honoured with the Victoria Cross that a company of cigarette manufacturers actually had a card prepared, for packing in cigarette packets, depicting him as a VC hero. He was, however, decorated with the DCM."

I suspect that this failed VC recommendation contributed to the belief that Colonials were less favoured than Imperial soldiers when it came to awarding this decoration.

Evans later settled in New Zealand. During World War I, he commanded the 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade and was awarded the DSO. He died of wounds at Passchendaele on 13 October 1917.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Taddy's cigarette cards V.C.Heroes 10 years 8 months ago #12662

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Quite happy with it thanks Frank, but you have first claim ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: Don't throw it away Paul, I'll have it if you are unhappy with it!

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Taddy's cigarette cards V.C.Heroes 10 years 8 months ago #12665

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Are you sure?

coldstream wrote: Quite happy with it thanks Frank, but you have first claim ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: Don't throw it away Paul, I'll have it if you are unhappy with it!

Taddy's cigarette cards V.C.Heroes 10 years 8 months ago #12666

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, you told me about home, well, in the event that you ever do get back there, let me know, there is, I think, a very absurd victorian tea room, with a drinks licence too, on Lord Street, I am confident that you would like it as much as I did the last time I walked in, we could talk shop over a drink or three!

iaindh wrote: Hi Frank,
I realise how critical the whole of the Platrand ridge was and had it fallen so would Ladysmith, but as Brett said, many people tend to overlook the defence of Caesar's camp by the Manchester's which was equally important to Wagon hill and tend to refer to the whole of the ridge as Wagon hill.
I for one am guilty. :blush:
Also the ILH is of great interest to me, (check the avatar,) but having said that I was also originally a Lancashire lad!

regards, Iain

Taddy's cigarette cards V.C.Heroes 10 years 8 months ago #12675

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank,
thanks for the offer, not sure when I will be able to afford to go over to England again. I know the place you mean, I was actually in there about 5 years ago but if I am over I'll let you know.
Should you care to visit SA, let me know; I live near Germiston on the East Rand.

regards, Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds