Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Siege of Ladysmith Trench Art? Artillery projectile? 2 years 6 months ago #79002

• OJD
  • OJD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 20
LinneyI and Neville, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Your explanations and examples tell me all I need to know on the origins of my artifact and how it was 'made'. Indeed, my example does have the soldered joint, which can be seen at 8 o'clock on the picture showing the weight (in OP). I had no idea what a booming (pardon the pun) tourist industry had been developed, dangerous too.

The other examples of rings - including the wonderful cased pair - have increased my interest in these souvenirs and I would certainly be interested in seeing any others people have.

What you say also tells me that, realistically, I am unlikely to discover who "E. ST. V.T." was. That said, it suggests quite a grand name, so I might get lucky.
Plus, gilding the ring seems a bit like putting lipstick on a pig, no offense to pigs, but perhaps suggests it was intended as a presentation piece.

Well, when I joined the forum, a lesson in artillery shell construction was not what I anticipated. I have enjoyed it though and start the day a bit wiser.

Thank you again,

Owen
OMRS 8188

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Siege of Ladysmith Trench Art? Artillery projectile? 2 years 6 months ago #79008

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Owen
The nice thing about David's site is that a query such as yours can reveal all sorts of pertinent replies. I had no idea that such "napkin ring" artefacts made from sections of driving bands existed. Much less the cased versions shown by Neville!
Best regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.987 seconds