Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Frae Scots Tae Scots 1 year 10 months ago #83543

• RyanArgyll
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello again

Thanks to a Flemish friend of mine I have three possible translations of the letter to show. There's a Dutch, an Afrikaan, and a English translation, these translations have been made using judgement and google translate, so they aren't perfect, the English version is probably the least accurate as it's had the most transformations. However, I suspect a great majority of the letter's original meaning has been brought out by these translations.

docs.google.com/document/d/1jNj93RsGNuzw...jq0/edit?usp=sharing

It would appear it's written by a young girl (A.b.S.Botha) (maybe 16-22?), in Groenvallei. A.b.S. Botha is writing to a Young man (Mr Y.A.Otto) in Pretoria.

The letter seems to be in response to an earlier letter sent by Mr Otto, one which initally came with a portrait of Mr Otto but seems to have gotten lost before Ms Botha recieved it. She seems to be a somewhat rebellious young women, full of life, sick of education but trudging on nonetheless. Ms Botha seems to not entirely reject Mr Otto's attempts at courting her, but does not enitrely embrace them either, towards the start of the letter she says she cannot marry him for her education is not finished, but later on she seems to be suggesting there may be a future where they are together, and she removes the thought that there might be someone else that she is instead considering.

Still little idea how the letter ended up in Scotland, I think a Scottish soldier brought it home but how did he get hold of the letter?

I love to hear anyone's thoughts, criticisms, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Rory, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frae Scots Tae Scots 1 year 10 months ago #83551

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
RyanArgyll,

Thank you for posting this letter.

As to how it reached Scotland, there are many possible reasons including the purchase by a stamp/letter collector, migration of these involved and, more likely, that it was brought back by a soldier who took it from the house/family as a souvenir.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds