Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

German settlers and the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 months ago #44816

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Incidentally Brett, the only other "German" snippet that springs immediately to mind regarding the BMR is subsequently, after the Anglo Boer War, the regiment was presented with their new Kings colour by Her late Majesty Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Helena, who was, by then, Princess Christian of Schleswig Holstein.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

German settlers and the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 months ago #44819

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Thanks you for that, Frank. Goetzsche's excellent history of the Natal Mounted Rifles and its antecedent regiments includes an account of Colour's ceremony. It was taken from 'The Natal Witness' of 5/10/1904.

Interestingly, the OC of the BMR by then was Lieutenant-Colonel W J Arnott, the Adjutant during the Boer War. The officer receiving the Colour was Lieutenant J R Greer, who had been a Sergeant and then Squadron Sergeant Major during the Boer War. He was the only man in the BMR to receive the 'Elandslaagte' clasp on his QSA. He was also a member of the 1902 Coronation contingent.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi

German settlers and the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 months ago #44823

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Thanks Brett.......

This has been a fantastic piece of research and an even more interesting read........
The only BMR that I have in my collection is a very English, Englishman with the name of Melville.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

German settlers and the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 months ago #44834

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
What a great addition to the Forum Brett. Many thanks.
Dr David Biggins

German settlers and the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 months ago #44837

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, indeed, I would certainly liked to have been present on the 4th of October, but, it was a superb regiment, you know Brett, when I collected badges, as a boy, the one I never had was a British made Victorian slouch hat badge worn by all ranks, they were made for and retailed by Messrs Hobson here in Great Britain, I don't know why they were so very hard to find, they were taken into wear around 1895-96, but, I was actually an adult before I managed to find one.

Brett Hendey wrote: Thanks you for that, Frank. Goetzsche's excellent history of the Natal Mounted Rifles and its antecedent regiments includes an account of Colour's ceremony. It was taken from 'The Natal Witness' of 5/10/1904.

Interestingly, the OC of the BMR by then was Lieutenant-Colonel W J Arnott, the Adjutant during the Boer War. The officer receiving the Colour was Lieutenant J R Greer, who had been a Sergeant and then Squadron Sergeant Major during the Boer War. He was the only man in the BMR to receive the 'Elandslaagte' clasp on his QSA. He was also a member of the 1902 Coronation contingent.

Regards
Brett

German settlers and the Border Mounted Rifles 8 years 2 months ago #44851

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank, Rory, Mike and David
Thank you all for your kind comments. I did enjoy this project. Even unravelling the story of my unfortunate Grandmother was interesting. Then came an investigation into the Hanoverians about which I had previously known nothing, and finally onto familiar ground with the BMR. I am hoping there may be more yet.
Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds