Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 4 months ago #44274

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
I've just noticed that the two Dundee prints are not identical apart from the colours but are in fact different drawings. I wonder why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 4 months ago #44276

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
She Who Must Be Obeyed loved this picture because it showed the as she stated "The British holding back the Irish as usual"........

The other complaint was why depict Ireland as an old crone when she is actually a beautiful lass...... :P

This household can be fun when I am a Monarchist and she is a Republican...... Good thing we love each other......

Mike

dunnboer wrote:

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 4 months ago #44600

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
If anyone is interested this has come up on ebay.....

Item Number: 121850346286

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 8 years 4 months ago #44601

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
There was a great deal of ill feeling in Ireland in the final decade of the 19th century, this was not altogether unsurprising given the behaviour of Lord Roberts and what many considered to be an army of occupation, but, quite frankly, I'm of Irish decent myself, the issue of home rule had come to the fore and I don't blame them either.
Even today, the war remains controversial and if you go to Dublin you can walk down Grafton street towards St Stephen's Park and you will see the Fusiliers Arch, it is a memorial to the Dublin Fusiliers killed in the war, most of them in Natal, moreover, whilst it remains as one of the very few "Imperial" buildings that was not destroyed after the creation of the Free State, it is still referred to as "Traitors Gate"

quote="QSAMIKE" post=44276]She Who Must Be Obeyed loved this picture because it showed the as she stated "The British holding back the Irish as usual"........

The other complaint was why depict Ireland as an old crone when she is actually a beautiful lass...... :P

This household can be fun when I am a Monarchist and she is a Republican...... Good thing we love each other......

Mike

dunnboer wrote:

[/quote]

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 7 years 9 months ago #47524

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Dunnboer,

Last night, I heard a possible answer your the question you raised 7 month ago. The reason for the difference is that the artist(s) was misinformed about the hill on which the battle of Talana was fought so the first image is incorrect. The mistake was corrected for the second image.

I walked up Talana Hill this afternoon so I have a clear view of it in my mind. However, I still not certain which is the first picture! Probably the non-Khaki version I would guess.
Dr David Biggins

Bacon's / Sutherland's South African Battle Pictures 4 years 5 months ago #66784

• Brawn
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Concerning this topic, this link may be of interest and also other South African / Boar War items for sale in the auction - www.lawrences.co.uk/sales/fine-art-sales...41119/view-lot/775A/
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.995 seconds