Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tom Peat, St John Ambulance Brigade, Bacup, Lancashire 9 years 11 months ago #20109

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
That's a marvellous article but I notice that Tom Peat isn't recorded in the list of 61 names from the Book of Remembrance. I'll get in touch with the Society and send them the photo of his memorial.

The following letter has been received by Mr. W. Brown, secretary to the Bacup Ambulance Corps: -
"S.S. "Umbria,"
Capetown,
South Africa,
April 16th, 1900.
Dear Secretary, - It is my duty, I think, to write and let you know we have arrived here all right - safe and sound, and in the best of health, but have not yet disembarked. We are expecting to go to Kimberley, but do not know definitely yet. We have had a most enjoyable passage in fine weather, but I am sorry to say we have had six deaths on board. We have had to take our turns in looking after the sick in the hospital of the ship, and have had a parade every day; and have also had to attend a class for sick nursing and dressing of wounds. Capetown looks a nice place, with the Table Mountain behind. To look to there are many a hundred vessels in the harbour, waiting to go into the docks to unload. We were due to arrive on April 11th, but were delayed at St. Vincent five days on account of having to take 2,500 tons of coal on board, which they told us ought only to have taken two days. St. Vincent looks a very nice place; the inhabitants are blacks; and it was a treat to us to see the children dive into the sea for coppers which they always got. The officers used to have them going in every day. You were able to get oranges, bananas, biscuits, whisky, or anything else almost. The oranges were grand. You cannot get any like them in England. As my paper is getting full, I must conclude, but will write again when we arrive at our destination. Please remember me and Porter tour comrades in the corps.

With kind regards, I remain, yours truly
648, Private Tom Peat,
No. 11 General Hospital,
British Field Force,
South Africa.

The Haslingden Guardian, Saturday 19th May 1900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds