TOPIC:

York, England Boer War Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20025

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Meurig,

As requested:-

Paul :)

SWB wrote: Hello Ian

Interesting observation, who knows what reference the sculptor had when carving the
bandolier. I am sure there are bandoliers on other figures - MI & cavalry, if my slides were digitised I could refer to them quickly. Maybe Paul or Berenice has pictures of the figures?

Regards

LinneyI wrote: Meurig
The rifle (or what is left of it!) represents a normal Magazine Lee-Enfield. The Handy Man's cartridge bandolier, however, is more akin to the type used by the Boers in the early stages of the war; with individual pockets for each five-round charger contained therein. British .303" bandoliers are quite different - having individual loops for the rounds. I have occasionally seen ABW illustrations where individual soldiers are wearing Boer Mauser bandoliers and I was minded to speculate "why" in a post sometime.
Nice set of pics.
IL.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

York, England Boer War Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20026

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
This one shows the Naval contingent also.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

York, England Boer War Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20027

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Super! Very many thanks Paul.

One can clearly see the bandoliers Ian was describing - with tubes for the rounds and not pockets for a clip of rounds. Could the sailor have been rejected for wearing the wrong bandolier??
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

York, England Boer War Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20030

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
The gentleman on the left in your first photograph appears to be wearing the Slade Wallace pouches as well as a webbing bandolier.
Regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hi Meurig,

As requested:-

SWB wrote: Hello Ian

Interesting observation, who knows what reference the sculptor had when carving the
bandolier. I am sure there are bandoliers on other figures - MI & cavalry, if my slides were digitised I could refer to them quickly. Maybe Paul or Berenice has pictures of the figures?

Regards

The rifle (or what is left of it!) represents a normal Magazine Lee-Enfield. The Handy Man's cartridge bandolier, however, is more akin to the type used by the Boers in the early stages of the war; with individual pockets for each five-round charger contained therein. British .303" bandoliers are quite different - having individual loops for the rounds. I have occasionally seen ABW illustrations where individual soldiers are wearing Boer Mauser bandoliers and I was minded to speculate "why" in a post sometime.
Nice set of pics.
IL.

York, England Boer War Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20031

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
I always think about those wretched webbing things that people often assume were the sole preserve of the IY, as and when those jolly jack tars enter my thoughts!
Regards Frank

Nice set of pics.
IL.

Attachments:

York, England Boer War Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20033

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Everybody
they are really excellent pics of lifelike subjects.
Frank, I am not certain just what sort of ammo carrier your tar is sporting. Sort of looks like a modified Mills Co. webbing bandolier. Whilst the Mills Co bandolier commonly gets a bad press, the idea was really quite good; they were issued pre-packed and were to be thrown away after use. Unfortunately, and probably to save money, they were reused, etc etc and got slack and doubtless were responsible for the litter of live rounds left behind columns in the latter part of the war.
In OZ, very occasionally are seen Mills bandoliers modified with a series of flaps covering the bases of the individual rounds. Much in the manner of the leather 50 round MI bandoliers introduced in 1889 for the .303". Off topic, I know, but here in OZ those MI bandoliers were used to death because they were so durable and so handy.
As a matter of interest, South Australian troops in the ABW were supplied with both the leather MI bandolier and a Mills webbing waist bandolier.
Regards to all
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.171 seconds