Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Leading Seaman Edward Jackson Gaulter, Naval Brigade 10 years 3 months ago #16946

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Bernice,
I tried to post on this earlier but had a few PC problems.
Thank you for posting a fitting memorial of one of Ladysmith's defenders.

Paul :)

BereniceUK wrote: In Lancaster Cemetery.

IN EVER LOVING
MEMORY
OF
EDWARD JACKSON GAULTER,
LEADING SEAMAN,
ONE OF THE HEROIC DEFENDERS OF
LADYSMITH, SOUTH AFRICA,
WITH THE
NAVAL BRIGADE,
WHO DIED
NOVEMBER 27TH, 1900,
AGED 28 YEARS

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Leading Seaman Edward Jackson Gaulter, Naval Brigade 10 years 3 months ago #16954

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

BereniceUK wrote: Good question. Off the top of my head I'd guess that something like 1 in 10 of the churches I've looked in have a Boer war-related plaque. Headstones with mentions of the Boer War are scarcer - Lancaster Cemetery, which is my nearest big cemetery, has three such headstones whereas I don't recall coming across any in the various Stoke-on-Trent cemeteries.

When I was actively out running the ABW Memorials Project I kept a list of "nil returns" for churches - the majority of churches don't have an ABW plaque. But the memorials are like buses - out of three village churches near me only one has any ABW memorials - two plaques and a grave memorial, three different men.

Cemeteries are the place to look for the "unknown" memorials, but they are big, can be overgrown and consequently take a lot time to cover.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Leading Seaman Edward Jackson Gaulter, Naval Brigade 10 years 3 months ago #16955

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
Although I've pretty much gone through Lancaster Cemetery there are still a couple of overgrown, older plots I'm not keen to go into so there may still be more to be found one day. Blackburn Cemetery is a nightmare, parts of it are badly overgrown.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds