• BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2305
In All Saints' Parish Church.

IN MEMORY OF THOSE MEN FROM THE
WYCOMBE PARISH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD
WHO FELL IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY
IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899 TO 1902
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
.............................................................LIEUT J F HARPER 10 th BATTN IMPERIAL YEOMANRY
.............................................................SERGT J CADLEY 1st OXFORDSHIRE L I
.............................................................CORPL H TUBB ARMY SERVICE CORPS
..................................................................." ........P R WOOTTON 16th LANCERS
.............................................................GNR G H SHORTLAND ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY
.............................................................TPR S R NORMAN 10 th BATTN IMPERIAL YEOMANRY
.............................................................PTE E HUNT ...............1 st OXFORDSHIRE L I
................................................................" ....R PAGE ..................." ..................."
................................................................" ....F PUDDIFOOT ......" ..................."
................................................................" ....O ALLNUTT ............" ..................."
................................................................" ....W BARTON ............." ..................."
................................................................" ....G COLEMAN .........." ..................."
................................................................" ....C HOWLTON .........." ..................."
................................................................" ....H SMITH .................." ..................."
................................................................" ....C TILBURY .............." ..................."
................................................................" ....R BOWLES ..........1 st BUCKS R V C
................................................................" ....L N COULTON ..................."
................................................................" ....C H D CANDY .....1 st BERKS R V C
................................................................" ....A TAYLOR .............2 nd ROYAL BERKS REGIMENT
................................................................" ....E E BRITNELL .....ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS
................................................................" ....J HOLLMAN .........3 rd WEST SURREY REGT
................................................................" ....H ROLFE ..............1 st YORKSHIRE REGT
. .
....On Friday morning the sad intelligence was received in Wycombe of the death of Ernest Edward Britnell, a private in the Royal Army Medical Corps, and second son of the late Mr. J. S. Britnell, who for many years carried on the business of a baker in Easton-street, Wycombe. The deceased soldier, who was 28 years of age,had served nine years with the colours, and was being invalided home from South Africa when death occurred. The Vicar of Wycombe (Rev. E. D. Shaw) received the news from the chaplain of the ship, and he at once informed the deceased's wife (who resides in Lower Gordon-road, Wycombe) of the death of her husband. Private Britnell was well known in the town, and to those who were intimately connected with him the news of his death came as a great blow. The deceased was buried at sea, and his dying request to Major Crawford, who was being invalided home in the same vessel, was that he would see his wife. Major Crawford has written to Mrs. Britnell to the effect that as soon as convalescent he will visit her. On Friday morning, the funeral bell of the Parish Church was tolled.
....Mrs. Britnell desires to publicly express her heartfelt thanks to the many kind friends who have sympathised with her and her two little children in their irreparable loss.
....In the official list of casualties in South Africa issued on Wednesday morning the following is included among the deaths:—"Wynberg—2nd Berkshire Regiment, 4956 Private J. Bennell (enteric), 19th April." Private J. Bennell's parents, we learn, reside in Oakridge-lane, Wycombe.
DEATHS.
BENNELL.—April 19, at Wynberg Hospital, John Edward, son of E. T. and May Bennell, aged 22 years (enteric fever).
BRITNELL.—April 6, died at sea, on the ss. Dictator, during passage to England, Ernest Edward, second son of the late John Shaw Britnell, aged 28 years.
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 27th April 1900
SAD DEATH OF ANOTHER WYCOMBE SOLDIER.
. .
...."At Bloemfontein, on April 27th, 5679 Pvte. H. Rolfe, dysentery (1st Yorkshire Regiment)." Such was the simple announcement that appeared in Tuesday's list of deaths from disease at Bloemfontein. Although the intelligence was brief, it brought with it sorrow to the home of well-known Wycombe residents. Private Harry Rolfe was the second son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Rolfe, of the "Golden Fleece," Desborough-road, High Wycombe. The deceased soldier joined the 1st Yorkshire (the Prince of Wales' own) two years and three months ago, and during his short career with the colours he had served 11 months at Gibraltar. Private Rolfe, who was only 20½ years of age, left England on Nov. 24th, and arrived at Cape Town on Dec. 15th. The deceased was in the engagements at Rensburgh and at Paardeberg on Feb. 18th, and in the latter he was slightly wounded. The poor fellow was taken to De Aar Hospital, where he was attended to, and from the following letter (the last his parents received), it will be seen that he was full of the expectation of returning to duty. The parents were anxiously awaiting intelligence concerning his welfare, when the news of his death arrived. The letter reads:—"Naauwpoort, March 22nd, 1900. Dear Mother,—Just a few lines to let you know that I am better, and out of hospital. I have shifted to Naauwpoort with a few more of our regiment. We expect getting back to the regiment in a couple of days' time. The Militia Reserve from Wycombe are here. I have seen several of them. I had plenty of fruit and puddings while I was at De Aar Hospital, but I miss them now. I forgot to tell you in my last letter that I lost all my things. I found my haversack empty. . . . . I have no more to say this time, so I must now close with my best love to you.—From your loving son, HARRY .
....Private Rolfe was a very promising lad. At the time of his death he had come into the possession of the gold crossed guns and a second class certificate for education. In Wycombe, the deceased soldier was well-known and much respected. He was one of the first members of St. John's Church Lads' Brigade, and had been a member of the Church choir. Both the Vicar (Rev. E. D. Shaw) and the Rev. F. B. Gunnery (Curate) have, since the sad intelligence was received, visited and sympathised with Mr. and Mrs. Rolfe and family in their irreparable loss, and on Tuesday next, at half-past two. the Vicar proposes to conduct a short memorial service at the Parish Church.
——
DEATHS.
ROLFE.—April 27th, at Bloemfontein, of dysentery, 5679 Private H. Rolfe (1st Yorkshire Regiment, Princess [sic] of Wales' Own), second son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Rolfe, of the "Golden Fleece," High Wycombe, aged 20½ years.
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 11th May 1900

The following man, 6687 Private Robert 'Bob' Martin, 3rd Grenadier Guards, who died of wounds at Modder River, on the 30th of November, 1899, was a High Wycombe man, but his immediate family seems to have moved away from the town prior to the war, which is probably why his name isn't included on the memorial plaque.
THE FIRST WYCOMBE SOLDIER WHO FELL IN THE WAR.
. .
....Particulars are now to hand of the death of Private R. Martin, of the Grenadier Guards, son of Mr. R. Martin, who served as a Sergt. in the Third Oxforshire Light Infantry for many years. At the present time there are several relatives of the late Private Martin residing in the town, among them being Mrs. Gardner, of Queen-street, and Mr. J. Lake, of Vine-terrace. The story of his death is perhaps best told in the words ofa companion (Private F. Gray), who writes from Glen, near Bloemfontein. He says (writing to a friend of the deceased soldier):—"I shall be pleased to give you all the information I can about Bob's death. It happened on December 28th. We had been lying in the firing line about seven hours, when we tried to rush the enemy's position, and we started doing it by a few men going at a time. When one of the men in front of us got wounded, and we were waiting for our turn to rush, the Officer in charge took four men with him to fetch the wounded man in. While they were so doing, another poor chap was shot in the head, and when the men got to him he was dead. They brought in his body, and as they were returning, two more got killed. Bob got wounded in the stomach, and as they were carrying him away he thrust the photo into my hand and said "Send it home, and say goodbye for me." He then became unconscious, and never again rallied. I may tell you when we went out on the Nubia, I stood next to Bob, and he has always been very chummy with me, especially as we enlisted almost at the same time." Private Martin, who died at Modder River, was the first reported Wycombe lad to fall in the War.
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 8th June 1900

Another Grenadier Guardsman from High Wycombe who died and isn't named on the memorial is 3388 Private John Johnson. He died at Kroonstad on the 4th of June, 1900, but here I can't see any reason why his name has been omitted.
TWO MORE LOCAL SOLDIERS DIE IN SOUTH AFRICA.
....The news from the seat of war this week brings the intelligence of the lamented deaths of two more local soldiers who had gone to fight for their Queen and country. We refer to Private George Coleman (of the 3rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry) and Private J. Johnson (of the 3rd Grenadier Guards), both of whom were well-known in this locality.
. .
....Private George Coleman was a son of Mr. George Coleman, of Lane End, and was one of three brothers who were in the 3rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry (Royal Bucks Militia). Soon after the Militia were sent to Buttevant, Private Coleman, who was a Militia Reservist, was called to South Africa. Repeated reports reached Coleman's relatives about his death, but it was not until the end of last week that official confirmation came from the War Office, in response to a telegram, although it is certain that he died from the effects of fever on April 18th. It willbe thus senn that the relatives were kept in suspense for about seven weeks after the sad event had taken place. The deceased soldier married Miss Johnson, of Stokenchurch, who (with two little children), is left to mourn the loss of a kind husband and the children a loving father. Private Coleman (2137) who is the first Militia Reservist to lose his life in South Africa, was highly esteemed by all who knew him. We learn that the Vicar of Lane End (Rev. F. L. Nash) has interested himself on behalf of the bereaved widow, and the rev. gentleman has written to the War Office to ascertain the cause of the long delay, also to get the confirmation of the poor fellow's death, which, we regret to add, is too well founded. Mrs. Dutton and Mrs. H. Dunn, of Oakridge-road, Wycombe, are relatives of the late Private Coleman.
. .
....The second deceased soldier (Private John Johnson) left Wycombe in the early stages of the war (on October 13th) with Private A. Cussell (since returned wounded), and Private J. H. Owens, and was an intimate friend of Mr. Caleb Devereux, of Sidney-terrace, Oakridge-road. Writing to Mr. Devereux, on Mar. 31st, Private Johnson mentions with pleasure the many pleasant hours they had spent together, and after exclaiming "A good feed now would do me good," he expresses the hope that before long he might be able to renew the acquaintance. Private Johnson had served seven years with the colours, and about 12 months as a Reservist. He went with the Grenadier Guards through the Battles of Graspan, Belmont, Modder River, and Magersfontein, and when Private Owens or the Brothers Dunn (of Lane End) wrote home to their friends, Private Johnson's name was frequently mentioned. While in Wycombe, Pte. Johnson, who was 28 years of age, resided with his wife (nee Miss Dandridge,of Wittenham, near Abingdon), in Sidney-terrace, Oakridge-road, and the case is rendered all the more sad from the fact that about two months after he left the shores of old England, Mrs. Johnson gave birth to a child, which is still living. His death took place at Kroonstad on June 4th, from enteric fever. The deceased was of a quiet unassuming disposition, and those who knew him regarded him as a genial and worthy young man.
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 15th June 1900
A CORRECTION.
....In our report of the death of Private J. Johnson (of the 3rd Grenadier Guards) in last week's issue, we inadvertently stated that Mrs. Johnson gave birth to a child two months after her husband had gone to the front. It should have been previous to his departure for South Africa.
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 22nd June 1900
DEATH OF ANOTHER WYCOMBE SOLDIER.
....We have this week to record the death of another Wycombe soldier, viz., Private Albert Taylor, of the 2nd Berkshire Regiment, youngest son of Mr. Wm. Taylor, late of Great Missenden, and now of Upper Richardson-street, High Wycombe, which took place at Bloemfontein on June 12th. The deceased soldier, who was 25 years of age, served wth the colours for six years, a portion of the time being spent in India. On New Year's morning he set sail for South Africa. Private Taylor originally belonged to the 1st Berkshire, but on the 2nd Battalion being called up for South Africa he volunteered his services. On several occasions we have published interesting letters from Private Taylor, who looked forward with joyful anticipations to the time when he would be able to rejoin the family circle. The deceased soldier has two brothers living at Missenden, and sisters at Wooburn and Uxbridge. On Saturday morning Private Taylor's chocolate box was received by his sister (Mrs. H. G. Rolph, of Gordon-road, High Wycombe), and on the evening of that date his death was announced. The chocolate box was accompanied by the appended letter:—"Bloemfontein, May 25th. Dear sister,—Just a few lines to you, hoping to find you quite well, as it leaves me at present. We left Dewetsdorp on the 17th of May, and started for Bloemfontein, which place we reached on May 19th. It is a very nice place, being a very large town, but there is a lot of enteric fever about. I sent the chocolate box on two days ago, and I hope you will get it all right. . . . . It was very rough for us at Dewetsdorp, what with no money, no tobacco, no beer, and not much food. It is a bit better now. The war cannot last much longer, as the Boers seem to be getting fed up with it. I don't suppose we shall see any more fighting. Give my best love to dad, Harry, and all the youngsters.—From your loving brother, ALBERT TAYLOR."
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 22nd June 1900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Neville_C, Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 1 year 9 months ago #84224

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
Thank you Berenice. Superbly researched, as always.

Adding to the above, on 6th November 1902, High Wycombe presented silver cigarette cases to 41 of their returned Volunteers & Yeomen (but not Reservists). The presentation was made by Mrs W. Birch (Mayoress), in the Guildhall.

Each case was engraved with a representation of the Buckinghamshire swan and the inscription: "Presented to / [PTE F. Price, VOL. Co. O.L.I.] / by subscribers of / HIGH WYCOMBE & NEIGHBOURHOOD / in recognition of his service / during the / SOUTH AFRICAN WAR / 1899 -1902."

They were supplied my Messrs Vernon & Co., Ltd.

THE RECIPIENTS

1st Volunteer Active Service Company, Oxfordshire Light Infantry –
7199 Sergeant H.J. COX
7246 Lance-Corporal [Private] James Rainbird PEARCE
7308 Private W. BARRATT
7208 Private [Corporal] Frank BOREHAM
7209 Private Richard BUTLER
7213 Private W.A. CHILD
7214 Private Henry CHURCH
7293 Private Tom DAVIS
7220 Private Frederick George ELLIS
7221 Private Richard FORD (absent - in S. Africa)
7298 Private G. HART (absent - in S. Africa)
7242 Private Amos NASH

2nd Volunteer Active Service Company, Oxfordshire Light Infantry (1st V.A.S.C. Draft) –
7313 Private Edwin BARNES
7311 Private [Sergeant] Edwin Henry CURTIS

3rd Volunteer Active Service Company, Oxfordshire Light Infantry –
7324 Sergeant Francis Keys HOLTON
7335 Corporal [Lance-Sergeant] J. GRANT
7316 Private Rupert BOWLES (died, S. Africa, 03/07/1902 - did his family receive a case?)
7317 Private H. CLARKE
7320 Private L.N. COULTON (died, Kroonstad, 25/12/1901 - did his family receive a case?)
7325 Private H.P. LEWIS
7326 Private Sidney PARSLOW
7327 Private Frank PRICE
7329 Private S.W. SAUNDERS
7333 Private Fred R. WAITE

Volunteer Active Service Company, 2nd Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment –
6820 Private C.H.D. CANDY (died, De Aar, 22/05/1901 - did his family receive a case?)

6th (Staffordshire) Company, 4th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
34206 Trooper Alfred SPRIGGS

38th (Buckinghamshire) Company, 10th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
4991 Sergeant Arthur Sidney LACEY
5034 Lance-Corporal [Sergeant] George Robert WHEELER
4928 Trooper Walter Hearne BIRCH [the Mayor's eldest son]
4943 Shoeing-Smith [Trooper] Robert George CUTLER
23574 Trooper Albert Edwin MEALING
4996 Trooper [Sergeant] Arthur William MOXHAM
5035 Trooper [Lieutenant] Francis John WANE
5040 Trooper Rupert Charles WELLER
5038 Trooper John Henry WESTON

56th (Buckinghamshire) Company, 15th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
Lieutenant Johb Fox HARPER (K.I.A., Driefontein, 10/09/1901 - did his family receive a case?)
10181 Sergeant Ralph James GRIMSDALE
23586 Trooper George DOEL
26628 Trooper Edwin HODSDON
10275 Trooper William REDDING

57th (Buckinghamshire) Company, 15th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
10453 Trooper Sidney Richard NORMAN (died, Kroonstad, 28/01/1901 - did his family receive a case?)

59th (Oxfordshire) Company, 15th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
31178 Trooper William George HARDING

105th (Manchester) Company, 8th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
30190 Trooper Arthur TONGE

152nd Company, 34th Bn. Imperial Yeomanry –
42399 Trooper Charles MEAD (absent - in S. Africa)

Imperial Yeomanry (unknown company) –
???? Sergeant G. WELLER

City Imperial Volunteers –
201 Sergeant William Thomas BIRCH [the Mayor's second son]

Press coverage does not state whether relatives of those who died at the front received the tributes.

South Bucks Standard, 24/10/1902
South Bucks Standard, 07/11/1902
Northampton Mercury, 07/11/1902
Windsor & Eton Express, 08/11/1902
Bucks Herald, 08/11/1902
Reading Mercury, 15/11/1902

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 1 year 9 months ago #84229

• BereniceUK
Walter Hearne Birch, Imperial Yeomanry, was the Mayor's eldest son, and William Thomas Birch, C.I.V., the second son.

THE MAYOR'S SON SEVERELY WOUNDED.
. .
....While the English nation is keenly expecting and longing for the capture of De Wet, there still comes to hand the daily list of casualties, which goes to prove that the guerrila warfare is not by any means at an end. Considering the large representation Wycombe has at the front, in all arms of the service, the list of casualties so far has been exceedingly light, but the later stages of the war bring the intelligence that several Wycombe soldiers are hors de combat, either from the result of wounds or sickness. On Tuesday the Mayor (Mr. Walter Birch) received a telegram from the War Office announcing that his eldest son, Trooper Walter Hearne Birch, had been severely wounded in some sniping operations by the Boers near Mafeking on December 7th. The sad intelligence spread rapidly throughout the town, and in a very short time the Mayor and Mayoress were the recipients of many expressions of condolence. Trooper Birch left Wycombe with Major W. A. W. Lawson's company of Imperial Yeomanry, early in the year, and since he has been in South Africa he has been confined to hospital for some considerable time. At one time it was feared that Trooper Birch would have to be invalided home, but as his health improved, he expressed the desire to see the end of the war. On Wednesday, the Mayor and Mayoress visited the War Office, with the hope of ascertaining the nature and extent of their son's injuries. The Mayor expressed a wish to send a cable to the hospital wherein his son was detained, but the War Office authorities were unable to locate the hospital in question. They promised, however, to make enquiries on the point.
....In the same list of casualties as that in which the name of Trooper Birch is announced, it is stated that Lieut. F. Arbuthnot (4,923) is dangerously wounded in the abdomen. Lieut. Arbuthnot left Wycombe with Major Lawson's company as a sergeant, and since he has been in Africa has been promoted to a lieutenant.
....Other intelligence to hand shows that Sergt. G. R. Wheeler (of the same company) is recovering from an attack of enteric fever. Sergt. Wheeler is a son of Mr. G. Wheeler, of the Limes, Easton-street, High Wycombe. We are sure that our readers will heartily wish our Wycombe representatives a speedy return to health.
....Shortly after mid-day on Thursday, the Mayor and Mayoress of Wycombe received the purport of a cablegram sent from Cape Town, in reply to one sent from the War Office, stating that Trooper W. H. Birch has been wounded in the leg and that he is going on favourably.

....Universal sympathy is felt in Wycombe for the Mayor and Mayoress in the anxiety caused by the news from South Africa relating to their son, who is reported "severely wounded." This of course is a relative term, denoting in military language a wound that is somewhat serious, but not necessarily dangerous, and all Wycombe people, together with hundreds of friends outside, will devoutly hope that the injury is nothing that will not yield to medical skill and careful nursing. I understand that since the message from the War Office, referred to in another part of this issue, a private telegram from Brigadier General Lawson has been received by Major H. L. W. Lawson referring to the accident, and containing the words "Birch's (of Wycombe) son well, cheery; knee." This seems to show that Trooper Birch has a bullet wound in the knee, but gives ground for hopeful confidence that it is not of grave character. The "well" in General Lawson's telegram is evidently to be read "doing well." I am asked by the Mayor to acknowledge, on behalf of the Mayoress and himself, the many kind enquiries and expressions of sympathy, which have been peculiarly valued, as this bad news from Africa has been a new anxiety added to others, caused by the illness of two other children.
....The subjoined telegram, sent by Reuter's correspondent from Mafeking, and published in last evening's papers, may possibly relate to the engagement in which Trooper Birch was wounded:—"Mafeking, December 10.—It is unofficially stated that on Saturday some of the 10th Yeomanry and the 5th Fusiliers, under Col. Meyrick, were heavily engaged at Wonderfontein. A messenger was sent to Lord Methuen at Kaffirskraal, and reinforcements were dispatched from that place. The vanguard was attacked on the left flank, eight miles from Wonderfontein, but beat off the enemy. On their return the troops were harassed by snipers. When they were about a mile and a half from the camp a trap was prepared for the Boers. Some of the troops continued their march, while the others lay in wait for the enemy, who, however, noticed what was in store for them and disappeared. No casualties were reported. A Boer doctor on the same day came into camp to beg for water. He stated that one Boer had been killed, and that several had been wounded, one man subsequently dying of his wounds."
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 14th December 1900

I really must mention High Wycombe's library. Not only did I have a session there on a Saturday afternoon on a microfilm reader, but it was also open on the Sunday afternoon, and I had another couple of hours there. Very rare to find a public library open on a Sunday, so bravo High Wycombe.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 1 year 9 months ago #84258

• BereniceUK

Neville_C wrote: City Imperial Volunteers –
201 Sergeant William Thomas BIRCH [the Mayor's second son]

Strange that only one man from the C.I.V.'s was reported as having received a silver cigarette case, as when Sergeant Birch returned to High Wycombe, another C.I.V. man accompanied him, and a third returned home the following day. Below are some extracts from a much longer report of their welcome home.
HOME FROM THE WAR.
ENTHUSIASTIC WELCOME TO C.I.V.'S.
....The pleasure of welcoming home the C.I.V.'s has not been confined to London, for on Tuesday there were many enthusiastic scenes at Wycombe, when the townspeople turned out to greet three members of well-known local families who belong to that distinguished body. They were Sergt. W. Birch, second son of Councillor Walter Birch, Private Harry Curtis, sixth son of Mr. John Curtis, of Temple End, and Private G. Coulton, son of Mr. R. H. Coulton, of Station-road.
....The weather was very unpropitious, a steady downpour of rain making the streets very greasy. This did not damp the enthusiasm, and a large number of people assembled at the Railway Station to join in the greeting. Head Constable Sparling and a strong body of police were in attendance, and only a privileged few were admitted to the precincts of the station. Private Curtis (who arrived by the 10.40 a.m. train) was present, and among the first to congratulate him on his safe return was the Mayor (Mr. R. D. Vernon), who expressed his pleasure on seeing the gallant Volunteer back home again. "Are you pretty well in health," asked His Worship, by which there came the reply, accompanied by a smile, "Yes, thank you, sir." As the train hove in sight the scene became a memorable one. The officials of the G. W. R. station had placed a number of fog signals on the metals, and these boomed away like cannon. A glimpse of Sergt. Birch having been obtained, a cheer went up. which resounded through the station buildings. A rush was made for the carriage door, and on Sergt. Birch alighting he was greeted by his "companion in arms," Private Curtis. It was then found that Private Coulton had been unable to reach Wycombe by that train, consequently there were only two City Volunteers to be welcomed. When the station yard was eventually reached, the cheering became almost deafening.
....Private Coulton was unable to accompany Sergt. W. T. Birch and Private Curtis to Wycombe on Tuesday for the reason that he was entertained in London by some of the members of his old regiment (the London Irish). He was expected to arrive at the Chair metropolis [aka High Wycombe!] yesterday afternoon. Owing to his late arrival we are unable to [include a] photograph.
South Bucks Free Press, Friday 2nd November 1900
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 1 year 9 months ago #84259

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
Berenice,

This is an odd one. At first I thought it might simply be a case of men not being present at the ceremony, but checking the published list I find it includes all men, whether present or not. Those absent are marked with an asterisk.
So, I have no idea why the other two C.I.V.'s are missing.

South Bucks Standard, 7th November 1902, p. 3

Attachments:

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 1 year 9 months ago #84262

• BereniceUK
Perhaps they both lived away from Wycombe, although their parents still lived there? We'd really need to check the South Bucks Free Press for any mention of Curtis and Coulton joining the C.I.V.

* There's a Sergt. E. H. Curtis in the 1st Bucks R.V. Could that be him?

Edit - The Curtis brothers whose mother's maiden name was Burgess -
1 - Joseph Edward, born 1865
2 - Albert George, 1868
3 - Henry, 1870
4 - Frederick Thomas, 1872
5 - Absalam Charles, 1874
6 - Edwin Henry, 1876
7 - Ernest William, 1881
8 - Walter Edgar, 1883
9 - Arthur Francis, 1885

Was #6 Edwin Henry known as Harry?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.700 seconds