Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant Charles Campion, 69th (Sussex) Coy IY - k.i.a. Vlakfontein, 29.5.1901 1 year 10 months ago #83343

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
The east window in St Peter's Church, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex, is dedicated to him.
The lower part of the window is no longer fully visible, and also, when I visited, the sunlight shining on the west window cast a reflection.
.....................................................................................We pray you remember in the Lord
.......................................................................all those who have laid down their lives
.......................................................................for their Sovereign and Country in
.......................................................................South Africa; especially Charles Campion
.......................................................................who fell at Vlakfontein xxix
th May
.......................................................................A.D. mdcccci; to whose dear memory
.......................................................................this window is dedicated.

A second, less ostentatious, memorial is in St Peter's Church, Brighton, to one side of the south door.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lieutenant Charles Campion, 69th (Sussex) Coy IY - k.i.a. Vlakfontein, 29.5.1901 1 year 10 months ago #83345

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Berenice......

Now for the impossible...... He may be in this picture......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Lieutenant Charles Campion, 69th (Sussex) Coy IY - k.i.a. Vlakfontein, 29.5.1901 1 year 10 months ago #83353

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
A book about Danny House, available to see online, has images of Charles Campion's parents and one of his brothers, but not of Charles himself.

There's a memorial birdbath in Hurstpierpoint churchyard, which is dedicated to Charles Campion. I wasn't aware of it when I visited Hurstpierpoint, but the left half of the birdbath appears in a photo on page 132 of the Danny House book - www.dannyhouse.org.uk/assets/book/Danny%20House.pdf

* The weird thing about St Peter's Church in Brighton is that the person who let me in and then walked round with me, said that there were no memorials in the building. As we walked round I pointed out various memorials on the walls, getting into double figures, none of which the person had ever noticed before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Lieutenant Charles Campion, 69th (Sussex) Coy IY - k.i.a. Vlakfontein, 29.5.1901 1 year 10 months ago #83362

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939

Klerksdorp Cemetery
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Lieutenant Charles Campion, 69th (Sussex) Coy IY - k.i.a. Vlakfontein, 29.5.1901 1 year 10 months ago #83364

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
An addition to this excellent thread.

He was killed in action at Vlakfontein, May 29th, 1901. He was the fourth son of Colonel W H, and the Honourable Mrs Campion, of Danny, near Hurstpierpoint, Sussex, and nephew of Lord Hampden. He was 24 years of age and educated at Eton. He went out with the Ceylon Mounted Infantry, as a trooper, and after a time served with Brigadier General Broadwood's column, afterwards proceeding to Pretoria as Superintendent of the Police, and eventually joined the Imperial Yeomanry as Lieutenant.
Source: Donner
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Lieutenant Charles Campion, 69th (Sussex) Coy IY - k.i.a. Vlakfontein, 29.5.1901 1 year 10 months ago #83365

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
His QSA was sold by Noonan's back in 2013.

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen (367 Trpr. C. Campion, Ceylon M.I.) clasps loose on ribbon
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.313 seconds