Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) 3 years 7 months ago #71749

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Thanks, IL. I'll go through 'Red Roses On The Veldt' when I get chance to, and compare the casualty list there with this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) 3 years 7 months ago #71751

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is certainly one of the more impressive and yet very simple memorials to be seen these days, I have passed it very many times over the years and have always marvelled each time, I'm glad to see it unmolested in these strange times that make up life.

South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) 3 years 7 months ago #71752

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Just a fluke..... Just finished typing up and going to put on our favorite auction site this weekend from the collection I am disposing of......

Mike

QUEENS / KINGS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL BOER WAR PAIR – 1ST SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT - DOD

2876 CORPORAL J. HESKETH, SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT
BARS: TUGELA HEIGHTS / ORANGE FREE STATE / RELIEF OF LADYSMITH / TRANSVAAL / LAING'S NEK
IMPRESSED NAMING

KINGS'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL -
2876 SERGEANT J. HESKETH, SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT
BARS: SOUTH AFRICA 1901 – SOUTH AFRICA 1902
IMPRESSED NAMING

Took part in battle at Spion Kop.....

First name(s) J
Last name Hesketh
Service number 2875
Rank Lance-Sergeant
Regiment 1 Battalion The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince Of Wales's Volunteers) Year 1899-1902

Biography-
Memorials Queen's Gardens. Statue. South Lancashire Regiment, Warrington, Merseyside, England
Event detail Died Disease on 21/05/1902 at Dundee
Event unit 1 Battalion The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince Of Wales's Volunteers)
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) 3 years 7 months ago #71761

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
All those casualties are likely to have been taken from their regimental lists and as Ian points out, they may well stem from disease related medical issues.

BereniceUK wrote: Thanks, IL. I'll go through 'Red Roses On The Veldt' when I get chance to, and compare the casualty list there with this one.

South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) 3 years 7 months ago #71766

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
QSA Mike,
your unfortunate Corporal Hesketh had been in South Africa for virtually the whole war and had survived some intense battles, when typhoid [enteric fever], presumably, eventually caught up with him.
The 1st South Lancashires left Fulwood Barracks, Preston on 30 November 1899, and just 10 days after he died, hostilities ceased.
JC De Villiers writes there were 8,000 British Army deaths from typhoid, which is more than all the Army deaths from battle, I understand.
The typhoid vaccine was just coming into use, and those who received it had >50% reduction in typhoid mortality.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds