Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Princess Victoria's Royal Irish Fusiliers 3 years 7 months ago #71517

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
I agree Berenice this is the best way to look after them in a church setting.... I remember being in a church here in Calgary when one of the colors from WW1 gave way due to age, and fluttered to the ground during a service..... It is now in a special room for colors in the Military Museums (low light, cool and flat in special drawers).....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Princess Victoria's Royal Irish Fusiliers 3 years 7 months ago #71526

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300

QSAMIKE wrote: I agree Berenice this is the best way to look after them in a church setting.... I remember being in a church here in Calgary when one of the colors from WW1 gave way due to age, and fluttered to the ground during a service..... It is now in a special room for colors in the Military Museums (low light, cool and flat in special drawers).....

Mike

Looks to be a perfect way to keep them in a church, and not expensive either.

There can't be many ABW memorials that were designed and sculpted by a woman: -

…."General Lord Grenfell, Commander of the Forces in Ireland, will unveil, on Saturday, at Armagh, a county memorial to one hundred and sixty-six officers and men of the Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's Regiment) who fell in the South African war. The subject is "The Last Post," symbolised by a bronze bugler in khaki about to sound the first notes of his melancholy refrain. The figure [which weighs 12cwt.] is eight feet high and stands on a pedestal of Irish granite, whereon the names are inscribed. On the front of this base is a bronze shield with a list of the campaigns in which the regiment was engaged, its arms, emblems, and ancient Irish battle cry. The whole monument has been designed and executed by Miss Kathleen Shaw, F.R.H.A., who for some years worked in a Knutsford studio and is well-known in the neighbourhood."

Manchester Courier, Tuesday 2nd October 1906

blogs.ucl.ac.uk/library-rnid/2019/04/26/...-sculptor-1865-1958/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds