Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 4 years 6 months ago #65726

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
This is the Peak Forest memorial www.militaryimages.net/media/frederick-greville-egerton.75099/ which seems to be the same one in the Black & White Budget photograph. I read a contemporary article in The Derbyshire Times (but am unable to access it right now) about the people of Peak Forest subscribing to the memorial.

The Rev. George Rogerson was Vicar at Peak Forest in 1901, so I think the Black & White Budget got it wrong by saying it was a Stockport church.
texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/PeakForest/index.html (see side panel at left)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 4 years 6 months ago #65729

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Excellent, thanks Berenice.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 4 years 6 months ago #65745

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939

Ladysmith Cemetery

Egerton Primary School Ladysmith was name after Lieut Egerton
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, BereniceUK

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 4 years 6 months ago #65749

• BereniceUK
His death certainly seems to have struck a chord with the people of Ladysmith at the time.

SWB wrote: In the Black & White Budget for May 5, 1900 there is a picture of a memorial to Egerton "in Stockport Church". I have been unable to find this "Stockport Church". Looking at the NIWM record for the memorial in Forest Peak the description and inscription match that tablet illustrated in B&W.

Begs the question, would this memorial have been moved from Stockport to Forest Peak?

The article in The Derbyshire Times (6th January 1900) includes the following: - "The Vicar of Peak Forest (the Rev George Rogerson) is executing the lettering and fixing."

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 3 years 11 months ago #68507

• DulcetTone
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The Royal Navy created a Commander Egerton Prize in 1901-- an annual award given to the Royal Naval Officer who, when qualifying for Gunnery Lieutenant, passed the best examination in practical Gunnery.

Such persons as Admiral of the Fleet Bruce Fraser would win it.

tone

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 3 years 11 months ago #68510

• BereniceUK
Excellent addition! Thank you. I wonder if each winner received any sort of physical certificate or written notice of the award.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.605 seconds