TOPIC:

Worksop, Nottinghamshire 4 years 10 months ago #64410

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Nice work Berenice.

To add to IL's casaulty info:

W Barton - Pte 2833 York & Lanc Rgt KiA Itala 26-09-1901 - born Worksop

T Cresswell - only two Cresswells died:
Pte James, Durham LI Enteric Pmbg May 1900 - he came from Croydon and his papers don't show a connection to Worksop
Pte Thomas N, Derbyshire Rgt died of wounds J'burg 12-06-1901 from Mansfield, Notts - best and most likely candidate. Incorrectly shown as ' C Cresswell' in SAFF, Palmer, Ancestry etc.

J Hall - there is a J Hall listed on the memorial to the 10th (Sherwood Rangers) Company, IY at Serlby Hall, Notts - now with the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (TA). He is not on the IY medal rolls so is a mystery, perhaps he died prior to deployment.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Worksop, Nottinghamshire 4 years 10 months ago #64414

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Found this in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 22.1.1903 (page 6), in an article titled 'Sherwood Rangers' War Service.' -
"The following men who went out with the contingent died in South Africa: - Trooper J. Hall, Carlton, Worksop; Trooper J. E. Lowless, Uppington; and Trooper H. Oglesby, of Hemswell."

Could Hall be in the roll as Hill?

J. E. Lowless - There's a memorial tablet in Uffington Church, near Stamford, to Frank E. Holmes Lowless, of the 10th Company I.Y. (I've photographed it, definitely Lowless, not Lawless).

Worksop, Nottinghamshire 4 years 10 months ago #64415

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
No luck in Palmer re any Lowless - J.E. or F.E. There is, however, a reference to one "27306 Pte. LAWLESS, F. of 3rd IY who died of disease Naawpoort, 30/12/01. The 10th Coy., I.Y. (Sherwood Rangers) were a component of the 3rd I.Y. Bn.
Regarding Tpr. H.Ogelsby, Palmer shows two entries - "20822 Pte. H.Ogelsby, 3rd I.Y., severely wounded, place not stated, on 13/6/01 and then Died of Wounds at Zeerust on 9/7/01.
Regards
IL.

Worksop, Nottinghamshire 4 years 10 months ago #64417

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

LinneyI wrote: Berenice
No luck in Palmer re any Lowless - J.E. or F.E. There is, however, a reference to one "27306 Pte. LAWLESS, F. of 3rd IY who died of disease Naawpoort, 30/12/01. The 10th Coy., I.Y. (Sherwood Rangers) were a component of the 3rd I.Y. Bn.
Regards
IL.

Definitely Lowless - that spelling appears on four war memorials, including one erected by his grandparents in Uffington, Lincs.

Another mistake blindly copied by Palmer.

J Hill - no "J Hall" died in the war, the only similar is Thomas Henry Hill who is remembered on a memorial in Farnborough, Hampshire.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Worksop, Nottinghamshire 4 years 10 months ago #64418

• BereniceUK
Both J. Hall and F. E. Lowless are named on the Sherwood Rangers' memorial tablet in St Swithun's Church, Retford.

Frank Ernest Holmes Lowless - birth registered at Stamford, fourth quarter of 1880.

SWB wrote: Definitely Lowless - that spelling appears on four war memorials, including one erected by his grandparents in Uffington, Lincs.

Does that include a proposed tablet with Lowless's name on it, in Cape Town Cathedral? (Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, 23rd January 1903, page 4)

Worksop, Nottinghamshire 4 years 7 months ago #65768

• BereniceUK
THE TRAGIC DEATH OF LIEUTENANT WILLIAMS.
Mr George Phillips, proprietor of the Lion Hotel, Worksop, has just received a gruesome but most interesting relic connected with the tragic death of Lieutenant Williams, of the Imperial Yeomanry, who, it will be remembered, was shot dead whilst advancing to the Boers after they had displayed the white flag at Boshof on April 5th. The relic consists of the actual bandolier worn by the French Boer, "Flamment," at the time he shot Lieutenant Williams, and was immediately shot himself for his dastardly conduct. It is made of rough canvas, and has 14 small leather capped pockets, in each of which five Mauser cartridges can be stored (the total carried in each bandolier being 70 rounds). Five of the original cartridges are included in one of the pockets of the bandolier. The peculiar feature of this particular bandolier, however, is that there is a bullet hole through the canvas at a point which, if the band were worn properly, would be immediately over the wearer's heart, and this and the space round about for several inches is clotted with blood. Trooper Chambers, who was in the thick of the fight himself, assures Mr Phillips that after spotting the man, he subsequently took the bandolier from him, and has sent it to Worksop to be preserved for him in the event of his being fortunate enough to return home.

The Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald, Saturday 12th May 1900

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds