Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lost memorials 5 years 2 months ago #62230

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
A memorial plaque has gone missing at Foulridge, Lancashire. It was in the Ambulance Hall originally; that closed in the late 1950s, and became the village hall, but there's no trace of the plaque now, and no-one seems to have any memory of it. Foulridge Parish Council have been making inquiries since I first contacted them about it, and we're hoping that it may be at the St John Ambulance Brigade's headquarters, at Preston.

AMBULANCE MEMORIAL AT FOULRIDGE.
An interesting ceremony took place in the Ambulance Hall on Saturday, when a memorial plate was unveiled, which had been unveiled to the memory of James Atkinson, a former member of the Foulridge Ambulance Division. He went out to South Africa during the war, but succumbed to enteric fever at Clanwilliam Hospital, June 24th, 1902, after six months' service. There was a large gathering of people, including the family of the deceased, members of the Foulridge, Colne, and Barnoldswick Ambulance Divisions. Councillor Ed. Carr, J.P., president of the Foulridge Ambulance Corps, presided, and was supported by Dr. Thompson, district chief surgeon, of Oldham; Dr. Dickey, Colne; Mr. Marquis, Colne; and the Rev. D. H. Hall.
Councillor Carr said they were met under somewhat melancholy circumstances. It was no mean sacrifice their comrade had made, and he trusted that the force of this beautiful example would not be lost upon them. He had heard duty's call, and had obeyed and died in his country's service. The Foulridge Ambulance Division had been able to send six of their brothers in that far-off clime. He considered it was a good proportion, taking into account the size of the corps and village.
Dr. Thompson congratulated them upon having sent out during the late war the largest percentage of members of any other corps in Lancashire. He then unveiled the memorial plate, the inscription on which was as follows: - "In affectionate remembrance of James Atkinson, one of our late esteemed members, who died of enteric fever whilst serving his King and country, at Clanwilliam Hospital, Cape Colony, S.A., June 24th, 1902. Erected by the members of the Foulridge Division."
Burnley Express, Wednesday 21st October 1903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost memorials 5 years 2 months ago #62238

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Very nice find Berenice.

I can't locate this man in the casualty rolls (he died after the end of the war so no big issue there), or the medal rolls. The account says he went out "during the war" - maybe he sailed before 31 May 1902 and landed in June after the end of the war?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Lost memorials 5 years 2 months ago #62239

• BereniceUK

SWB wrote: Very nice find Berenice.

I can't locate this man in the casualty rolls (he died after the end of the war so no big issue there), or the medal rolls. The account says he went out "during the war" - maybe he sailed before 31 May 1902 and landed in June after the end of the war?

I need to look up the Colne Times newspaper, which would have had the best coverage of Foulridge at that time. Have told Foulridge Parish Council that if they decide to have a replacement memorial placed in the village hall, I would make a contribution to the cost.

* Colne Library has the Colne Times for 1900-1903, so I'll go there soon.

Edit - the plaque has not been found.

Lost memorials 4 years 11 months ago #63597

• BereniceUK
There was a brass plaque in Wellingborough Drill Hall, Northamptonshire. The Drill Hall became derelict in recent years, and vandals had access to it; I've contacted Wellingborough Civic Society, asking if anyone knows what happened to the plaque.
www.underwoods.co.uk/property-details/?id=328+6932

"Col. Lord Euston visited Wellingborough on Monday and opened the new Drill-hall which has been erected for the Volunteers of the town. He also took the opportunity of unveiling a brass memorial (given by Col. Willan Jackson) of the members of the I and K Companies, who served in the Boer war."
Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, Friday 15th July 1904

Lost memorials 4 years 11 months ago #63615

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
PTE JAMES ATKINSON [16702]

His gravemarker in Clanwilliam, St John Church

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds