Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Darlington Co.Durham 12 years 1 week ago #2800

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Thanks for the additional shots, Paul ! Superb !

Cheers,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Darlington Co.Durham 12 years 1 week ago #2802

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Paul

Thank you for posting on another of the far-flung monuments to the Boer War. This one, and other similar monuments, make one realise what a profound affect this war had in countries that participated in it. Also, it is impressive that such monuments are still so well maintained.

Brett

Re: Darlington Co.Durham 12 years 1 week ago #2803

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Paul

A year ago, I posted in the 'Gallery' section of this forum a record of a Boer War veteran, Lt-Col B R Brewin MC. After World War I he settled in Haughton-le-Skerne, Darlington, and is buried there. Thanks to a local resident, Carol Atkinson, I was able to add to my record of Brewin a photograph of his very impressive gravestone. It is not a monument to the Boer War, but still a small and indirect reminder of it.

Brett

Re: Darlington Co.Durham 12 years 1 week ago #2804

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214

Mark Wilkie wrote: Thanks for the additional shots, Paul ! Superb !

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the nice comment, its just a shame the size has to reduce for the web because some of the nice detail dissapears.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Darlington Co.Durham 12 years 1 week ago #2805

• coldstream

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

Thank you for posting on another of the far-flung monuments to the Boer War. This one, and other similar monuments, make one realise what a profound affect this war had in countries that participated in it. Also, it is impressive that such monuments are still so well maintained.

Brett

Hi Brett,
Thanks for your reply.
This is one of my favourite memorials.
I think it helps that it is situated in the grounds of St. Cuthberts church which always seem very well maintained.
The only damage I can see is the point of the soldiers rifle is missing, not sure about the story behind it though.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Darlington Co.Durham 12 years 1 week ago #2806

• coldstream

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

A year ago, I posted in the 'Gallery' section of this forum a record of a Boer War veteran, Lt-Col B R Brewin MC. After World War I he settled in Haughton-le-Skerne, Darlington, and is buried there. Thanks to a local resident, Carol Atkinson, I was able to add to my record of Brewin a photograph of his very impressive gravestone. It is not a monument to the Boer War, but still a small and indirect reminder of it.

Brett

Hi Brett,
I am pleased you managed to get your photograph, will have a look in that section for your post.

Paul

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds