Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Horbury, Yorkshire 1 year 11 months ago #82506

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1902
The same is true of 7645 Private Alfred HAIGH, of the 2nd Contingent.
Haigh resided in Shepstye Road, which is definitely within the bounds of Horbury. Yet the Batley Reporter (15th February 1901) states that he was an Ossett man.

"G" Company was known as the "Ossett" Company, but I believe it included men from both Horbury and Ossett. Perhaps this is the cause of some of the confusion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Horbury, Yorkshire 1 year 11 months ago #82507

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

Neville_C wrote: Yes, I already had Sam Cook down for the Ossett tribute.
But, then his name turned up on the Horbury tablet. It seems both towns laid claim to him.

Something along those lines happened in Blackburn and Darwen. There was a soldier, who had been born in Darwen, grew up there, and his parents were still living there when he was killed in S.A., so his name is on the Darwen memorial. He'd been in the army for two years, his and his wife's home address was in Blackburn, and the Blackburn newspaper reported that "he was a Blackburn man."

Horbury, Yorkshire 1 year 11 months ago #82512

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1902
The naming and shaming of companies that failed to keep active service volunteers' situations open, including Horbury District Council (Batley Reporter, 18 Jan 1901).
Horbury Council were happy to commission a nice shiny plaque to place in their new town hall, but, at the same time, failed to keep Private Blackmore's position open for him.

THE RETURNED VOLUNTEERS.

1st V.B. Yorkshire Light Infantry,
Volunteer Barracks, Dewsbury.

To the Editor of “The Reporter”.

Dear Sir,
May I take the liberty of placing, through the columns of your paper, before the employers of labour in Dewsbury and Ossett district, the names of those men in the detachment under my command, who volunteered for service and proceeded to South Africa in February and May of last year, to join our 2nd Battalion on active service.
The firms by whom the men were employed up to the time of their departure for South Africa were all requested (in some cases personally) to keep, if possible, the Volunteers’ situations open for them until their return.
Unfortunately, in some cases, the employers have been unable to do so; but I feel sure that the latter will have no hesitation in giving satisfactory characters to any firms who might have vacancies for any of the Volunteers still out of work. Thanking you in anticipation, – I am, yours truly,

LOUIS J. FOX, Captain,
Commanding Dewsbury Detachment, 1st V.B.K.O.Y.L.I.

Corporal E. WILCOCK, George Street, Ossett, formerly office clerk for Messrs Archer, Shaw, and Co., Ltd., brassfounders, Ossett.
Private G. BLACKMORE, Hall Cliffe Road, Horbury, formerly labourer for Horbury District Council.
Private E. OLDROYD, 33 Camroyd Street, Eastboro’, Dewsbury, formerly railway porter, G.N. Railway Company, Queensbury, who would probably give him his work back if he applied, but he is anxious to find work nearer home.
Private W. CALVERT, Fiddlers Hill, Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury, formerly office clerk for Messrs Roberts, Mart, and Co., Ltd., Bank Mill, Leeds.
Private J.T. NORGATE, 9 Oldroyd’s Buildings, Batley Carr, formerly warehouseman for Messrs S. Milnes and Sons, 45 Bradford Road, Dewsbury.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds