Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

PRIVATE GEORGE SHAW [5437] 1st LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE 6 years 1 month ago #57802

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
As you say, Rob, grim reading but what a wonderful resource you have in those diaries.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PRIVATE GEORGE SHAW [5437] 1st LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE 6 years 1 month ago #57806

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Rob

Many thanks for posting this. The diary entry corroborates a letter home printed in an English newspaper, Bournemouth Daily Echo 18-06-1901. The letter was written by a soldier of B company, South Wales Borderers based in Ventersdorp at the time of the capture, trial and execution. He writes that a "staff officer..blew his brains out".

Ned Bulfin is Major ES Bulfin Yorkshire Rgt, Brigade Major 9th Brigade, later a successful commanding officer in WW1 who rose to the rank of Lt-General.

Does Tubman indicate from which regiment the firing party was drawn? The correspondent from the SWB reports quite closely on Shaw's last night and execution as if he was involved, and I wonder if the SWB found the firing party. The SWB regimental history does not mention the execution, but does mention the shooting of a Frenchman and Italian captured fighting for the Boers who tried to escape.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobNZ

PRIVATE GEORGE SHAW [5437] 1st LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE 6 years 1 month ago #57812

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
What a fascinating story Elmarie! Thank you for sharing it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

PRIVATE GEORGE SHAW [5437] 1st LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE 6 years 4 weeks ago #57996

• RobNZ
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello Meurig,
Thanks for the information about Major Bulfin & the Bournemouth Daily Echo report. The transcription I gave is Robert Tubman's only mention if the incident. I still have a few more of his letters to transcribe, but I doubt he will mention it again.

Best wishes
Rob

PRIVATE GEORGE SHAW [5437] 1st LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE 4 years 11 months ago #63503

• Han
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi do you know the date of birth if Shaw

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds