Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'Men of Clackmannan,' Scotland 7 years 6 months ago #48736

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300

The roll of honour is on the reverse side.

KILLED IN ACTION
Lieutenant Harold Percival Paton Protectorate Regiment
Second Lieutenant Edward John Younger 16th Queen's Lancers
Private Frank Lynn 2nd Dragoons
Private David McGregor Highland Light Infantry
Trooper John W. Hastings Kimberley Light Horse

DIED OF WOUNDS
Lance Corporal R. H. Alston Hunter 18th Hussars
Private Robert C. Johnstone King's Own Scottish Borderers
Private John Wright Royal Highlanders

DIED OF DISEASE
Sergeant Piper Robert Watt King's Own Scottish Borderers
Lance Corporal David M. Stirling Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Private William W. W. A. Miller Transvaal Constabulary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, QSAMIKE, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Men of Clackmannan,' Scotland 5 years 10 months ago #59356

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
WAR MEMORIAL UNVEILED AT ALLOA.

On Saturday afternoon the Earl of Mar and Kellie, Lord Lieutenant of the County of Clackmannan, unveiled a monument erected in a central part of the town in memory of the soldiers from the district who fell in the recent war in South Africa. The ceremony was performed in the presence of a large turnout of townspeople. The local battalion Volunteers and the local company of the Boys' Brigade took part in the ceremony. The memorial consists of a representation of a Highlander, with hand on revolver, standing over a wounded comrade. The height from base to top of monument is 14 feet, and the standing figure of the Highlander on top is 8 feet 6 inches. Mr R. S. Lorimer, R.A., was the designer, and Mr W. B. Birnie Rhind, Edinburgh, the sculptor. The cost of the memorial, which is of Pruhden freestone, is said to be £450, £300 of which has been subscribed, but it is understood two generous donors in town intend to make up any deficit.
After a religious service, the Earl of Mar handed the monument to the municipality. He said the simple inscription, "In Memoriam, South Africa, 1899-1902," would speak to their children's children of three strenuous and anxious years, years in which hope, disappointment, anxiety, and final triumph reigned alternate, years of patriotism evolved, supreme effort put forth, and difficulties at last successfully overcome. (Applause.) They felt some pride that that small community in the centre of Scotland was not backward in answering the call of duty, and horrible though war was, if the call was made again he doubted not that the same spirit of self-sacrifice and patriotism will be shown in no diminished degree. (Applause.)
Provost Arrol accepted custody of the memorial on behalf of the town. Mr Wason, M.P., proposed a vote of thanks to the Earl of Mar, which was heartily accorded. The following are the names inscribed:
Lieutenant Harold Paton, Protectorate Regiment; Second Lieutenant Edward J. Younger, 16th Lancers; Private Frank Lynn, 2d Dragoons (Scots Greys); Private W. W. A. Miller, Transvaal Constabulary; Private R. Johnstone, 1st King's Own Scottish Borderers; Private D. M'Gregor, Highland Light Infantry; Private Wright, 2d Battalion Royal Highlanders; Lance-Corporal R. H. A. Hunter, 18th Hussars; Lance-Corporal D. M. Stirling, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Edinburgh Evening News, Monday 11th April 1904

'Men of Clackmannan,' Scotland 5 years 6 months ago #60779

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
When I get the time I trawl through Palmer and SAFF to see if some of the names on Memorials can be '"fleshed out" - in a manner of speaking. With the "Men of Clackmannon" I did just that and misplaced my notes. I have just found them - here goes;
Lt. Harold Percival Paton, Protectorate Regt. - (member of No.1 Trp., PR. Killed in action, Game Tree Hill, 26/12/99). The Walker "Mafeking Siege Register" gives more details.
2nd. Lt., Edward John Younger 16QL - Killed in Action between Clanwilliam and Calvina, 23/12/01.
Pte. F. Lynn 2DG - 3352 Pte. W Lynn, Killed in Action, Dronfield 16/2/00. Palmer and SAFF have initial "W", my Cavalry CD has "H".
Pte. D.McGregor, HLI - 1bn, HLI as 1938. Killed in Action, Dewetsdorp 23/11/00.
Tpr. John W. Hastings, Kimb. L.H. - Killed in Action during siege (no date). DJB says 28/11/99.
L/Cpl. R.H.Alston, 18H - as 4435, Died of wounds, near Dulstroom 16.4.00. (As a matter of interest, IL's collection currently houses the pair to Tpr. Roach of 18H - wounded in same action).
Pte. Robert C. Johnstone, KOSB - as 4517, wounded Stinkfontein 24/2/00.
Pte. J.W.Wright, Ryl.H. - as 6686, Missing in Action, Mooi River 16/12/99, then Died of Disease, Pretoria, 1/4/00.
Sgt.Piper Robert Watt, KOSB - as 3211 of 3 KOSB, Died of Disease, Bulawayo, 5/11/01.
L/Cpl. D.M.Stirling, ASH - cannot locate an entry.
Pte. William W.W. Miller TVl Constab. - cannot locate an entry.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds