Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Peterborough, England 8 years 4 months ago #44475

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Thanks for posting Berenice. I have the QSA clasps CC/TH/RL to 7033 Pte. W. Fisher KRRC who died of disease at Modder Spruit 16/5/1900 and is buried at Elandslaagte Naval Cemetery (not to be confused with Elandslaagte Battlefield Cemetery). He served in 'A' Company and was a survivor of the Warren Hastings shipwreck in 1897. His IGS has apparently been on the market in the dim and distant past.

Regards

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peterborough, England 8 years 4 months ago #44477

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Thank you for another interesting posting, Berenice. Compiling all those names from so many different units must have been a huge task, and, as is often the case, the people behind the memorial deserve one of their own.
Regards
Brett

Peterborough, England 8 years 4 months ago #44478

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Fabulous thread, Berenice. Many thanks!
Dr David Biggins

Peterborough, England 8 years 4 months ago #44481

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

BereniceUK wrote: So Is this memorial for the men of Peterborough and Northamptonshire, or for the man of Peterborough and the Soke of Peterborough?

Hello Berenice

I am not sure how many folk in 1902 could define the "Soke of Peterborough", but they probably maintained that Peterborough was not in Northamptonshire or Cambridgeshire. The Northamptonshire county memorial in Northampton is dedicated

"IN MEMORY OF BRAVE MEN INHABITANTS OF THIS COUNTY AND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF PETERBOROUGH,"

There will be considerable overlap between the two memorials. From my research geographical affiliations were not strictly defined or adhered to when compiling lists of names to add to a war memorial.

Researching these two war memorials would be interesting to see if there was any competition or petty jealousies between Northampton & Peterborough. And to add to the confusion there is a county memorial for Cambridgeshire in which Peterborough is also included for what Wikipedia describes as "ceremonial purposes".

It looks like the Peterborough memorial was an assertion of independence!

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Peterborough, England 8 years 4 months ago #44483

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2305

SWB wrote: There will be considerable overlap between the two memorials. From my research geographical affiliations were not strictly defined or adhered to when compiling lists of names to add to a war memorial.

Researching these two war memorials would be interesting to see if there was any competition or petty jealousies between Northampton & Peterborough. And to add to the confusion there is a county memorial for Cambridgeshire in which Peterborough is also included for what Wikipedia describes as "ceremonial purposes".

It looks like the Peterborough memorial was an assertion of independence!

How I wish I had a spare couple of days to spend in Peterborough and Northampton libraries, looking up newspaper reports of casualties.

SWB wrote: I am not sure how many folk in 1902 could define the "Soke of Peterborough", but they probably maintained that Peterborough was not in Northamptonshire or Cambridgeshire.

Just like the other now-abolished county, the Isle of Ely (an administrative county between 1889-1965), there must have been considerable pride at having their independence from the neighbouring, larger counties.

Peterborough, England 8 years 4 months ago #44547

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hi Berenice,

Wonderful photo's, thanks for posting them.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.654 seconds