Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieut. F.W. Milligan & Others from Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire 5 years 5 months ago #61096

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is not always easy to actually determine who was mounted and who was not at any particular point in time during the campaign.
For example, it would be very easy to just assume that all SAMIF actually were, simply because of that title, but, take a regiment like the Imperial Light Infantry and you would assume that they cannot have been, however, certainly from memory, at least, at Frere, Colonel Cochrane had some eighteen hundred mounted men which included a small detachment of ILI, all intent upon getting rid of the enemy from Natal.
Notwithstanding, the Rhodesia Regiment was raised as part of the SA "Mounted" IF on the 15th of August 1899.

Georgegt351 wrote: Just going through the rolls,there appears to be A,B,C,D and E Squadrons and a Mashonaland Squadron of the Rhodesia Regt- I have the QSA to 75 QMSGT C.F. Crowden from the Mashonaland Squadron who was awarded an 02 bar in 1906 as well as his existing Rhodesia, R of M and Transvaal clasps which were on an earlier roll.

I saw something on this forum which I now cannot find which was a named photo of all the mounted units in South Africa and was suprised to find the Rhodesia Regiment listed. I guess it had not occurred to me that they would have been mounted with a name like Rhodesia Regiment.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds