• Page:

TOPIC:

Manchester Regiment memorial 9 years 9 months ago #20914

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119

From the Manchester Courier October 1908
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Manchester Regiment memorial 6 years 3 months ago #56687

• Nelson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I've extensively researched this memorial as part of a post-grad thesis on Thornycroft and would just like to add to the information already on the site. Contrary to the report in the Manchester Courier, although Captain Fisher was the model for the standing soldier, the prone soldier was the sculptor's long-term model, Orazio Cervi. Some of the surviving preparatory pencil sketches show that Thornycroft also used a Lieutenant Foster from one of the Indian regiments as a model, particularly for the uniforms and weapons. I also traced Thornycroft's original portrait bust of Fisher to his great-great-grandson; it was sent to Fisher's widow by the sculptor and passed to his only child, a daughter. It has never been publicly displayed.
There was also some confusion about whether the memorial actually depicts the two Boer War VC winners, Privates Pitt and Scott. My evidence suggests that they likely modelled for John Cassidy, the 'local' Irish born sculptor (who was unsuccessful in his bid for the commission) but certainly not for Thornycroft.I was able to trace Cassidy's (now lost) work through the Royal Academy archives and the Manchester Academy of Fine Arts; it was also referred to as 'Defending the Flag' in reference to the Ladysmith incident.
This is a massively underrated example of Thornycroft's work (he died in 1925) and it's one of his last major public monuments. It also represents an important ideological shift in public memorials, celebrating the serving soldiers rather than the officer class and in that it captures the mood of the time. We often forget that the Boer War was a pivotal point in British military and political history. It effected changes which we now ascribe to WW1 instead; everything from the adoption of khaki, to changes in tactics and logistics and the reinvention of the British soldier as a hero rather than miscreant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Manchester Regiment memorial 5 years 7 months ago #59837

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I am in Manchester today so went to St Ann's Square to have a look at this monument which is looking in great condition.

I really don't have anything to add beyond when Berenice and Nelson have already said.

Hamo Thornycroft

From the Tameside website (link in Berenice's original post): "Throughout the more recent changes made to the layout of St Ann's Square, the memorial has remained in its original position, the granite protectors at the corners of the pedestal a reminder of a time when wheeled traffic filled the square."

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, davidh, BereniceUK

Manchester Regiment memorial 5 years 7 months ago #59843

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
Being originally from Manchester I know this memorial very well and am proud to have the medals of 8 of the men listed on it.

4421 Pte. J. Abbott - KIA Caesar's Camp 18/12/1899
3940 Pte. E. Bradshaw - KIA Caesar's Camp 6/1/1900
4972 Pte. W. Devenport - Ditto (The QSA is also named Devenport but some references show Davenport).
2339 Pte. G. Farmer - Ditto
1975 Pte. W. Frampton - Ditto
734 Col. Sgt. J. Johnson - Ditto (The senior NCO KIA in the Wagon Hill/Caesar's Camp battle).
3385 Sgt. J.H. Walsh - Ditto
2825 Sgt. H. Ashton - Wounded Sannah's Post 31/3/1900 & killed by lightning Middelfontein 5/12/1900. (Served in M.I. Unique Sannah's Post casualty for the Manchesters).

All the above QSAs have the single clasp Defence of Ladysmith except Walsh (Elandslaagte & Defence of Ladysmith) and Ashton (Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Transvaal & Wittebergen).

David

Manchester Regiment memorial 5 years 7 months ago #59850

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Davidh,

A tremendous set of medals to a famous regiment.
Dr David Biggins

Manchester Regiment memorial 5 years 7 months ago #59851

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
David - While digging around the Manchester Regiment's archives some years ago I came across this letter which I'm sure will be of interest. I've scanned my photocopy below.

The letter was written 12 days after the 6th January battle on Caesar's Camp by Pte. T. Bramwell, who was himself wounded, to his wife. The contents are fascinating enough but have added poignancy for me as he mentions by name or rank three of the men whose QSAs I have -"the Colour Sergt", "Drum Major Sgt Walsh of the band" and "Billie Frampton". The latter was clearly a close friend of Bramwell's.

Regards

David
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.964 seconds