Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Paardeberg 11 years 1 month ago #8227

• Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
Today marks another anniversary of the opening round of the battle of Paardeberg, a very bloody affair indeed and for the British army, the greatest loss in a single battle, with a huge number of casualties, that Lord Kitchener appeared to be unconcerned about.
Does anybody have any thoughts or individual stories of the events of this particular day in 1900, would be very interested to know your thoughts.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paardeberg 11 years 1 month ago #8285

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,
Noticing your post I had a look at my collection and realised this was the only medal I had with a Paardeberg clasp :ohmy:
I had not realised it had been the greatest loss in a single battle.
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...es-manley-lnlancs-mi
Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: Gentlemen,
Today marks another anniversary of the opening round of the battle of Paardeberg, a very bloody affair indeed and for the British army, the greatest loss in a single battle, with a huge number of casualties, that Lord Kitchener appeared to be unconcerned about.
Does anybody have any thoughts or individual stories of the events of this particular day in 1900, would be very interested to know your thoughts.
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Paardeberg 11 years 1 month ago #8290

• Frank Kelley
Good morning Paul,
The 18th February was not a great day with Lord Kitchener running around like a headless chicken, all over the battlefield, issuing orders, but what are your thoughts on the battle itself, which continued all week, the awful stench, dead horses, dead oxen, dead mules, dead people, its hard to believe that anyone or anything could have survived in the enemy laager, the loss of the whole Free State force, many members had their wifes and families with them too.
Regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello Frank,
Noticing your post I had a look at my collection and realised this was the only medal I had with a Paardeberg clasp :ohmy:
Paul

Regards Frank

Paardeberg 11 years 1 month ago #8315

• coldstream
Morning Frank,
I need to do a lot more reading about this one I think, next on the agenda.

Thanks Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Good morning Paul,
The 18th February was not a great day with Lord Kitchener running around like a headless chicken, all over the battlefield, issuing orders, but what are your thoughts on the battle itself, which continued all week, the awful stench, dead horses, dead oxen, dead mules, dead people, its hard to believe that anyone or anything could have survived in the enemy laager, the loss of the whole Free State force, many members had their wifes and families with them too.
Regards Frank

Paul

Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Paardeberg 11 years 1 month ago #8316

• Frank Kelley
Paul,
I missed that medal when you posted it originally, as I had only just joined the forum, it is a pity about the KSA, it would have been a super pair, but, it is still a really nice QSA in its own right.
Some of the mounted infantry were actually ordered to "charge" the main Boer Laager on the 18th of February, by Kitchener, one assumes that he forgot he was in South Africa and was thinking about the way he used to do things in Eygpt! :(
Of course, the result was that many casualties were incured, some very senior ones too, men like Colonel Ormelie Campbell Hannay. :(
Still, no doubt his lordship knew what he was doing? :angry:
Regards Frank

Paul

Regards Frank

Paardeberg 11 years 1 month ago #8466

• coldstream
Hello Frank,
Been reading more about Paardeberg and I realised I had this medal to the 12th Lancers.
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...12th-lancers-7-clasp

Paul :)

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds