Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

February 28th 12 years 4 weeks ago #2393

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Ladysmith siege day 119 (100%). Mafeking siege day 139 (64%). End of the siege of Ladysmith. Clements occupies Colesberg. Boers retire across Orange River.
1901 - Sir A. Milner leaves Cape Town for Johannesburg to take up duties of Administrator of new colonies. De Wet crosses the Orange River. Kitchener and Botha meet at Middelburg to discuss terms.

In Ladysmith:

From early morning it was evident that the Boers were much disturbed in mind. Line after line of waggons with loose strings of mounted men kept moving from the direction of the Tugela heights above Colenso, steadily westward, across the top of Long Valley, past the foot of Hussar Hill, out into the main road along the Great Plain, over the Sandspruit Drift at the foot of Telegraph Hill, and so to the branching of the roads which might lead either to the Free State passes or to Pepworth Hill and the railway to the north. All day the procession went on. However incredible it seemed, it was evident that the "Great Trek" had begun at last.

Soon after midday a heliogram came through from Buller, saying he had severely defeated the enemy yesterday, and believed them to be in full retreat. Better still, about three the Naval guns on Cove Redoubt and Cæsar's Camp (whither "Lady Anne" was removed three days ago) opened fire in rapid succession on the great Bulwan gun. The Boers were evidently removing him. They had struck a "shearlegs" or derrick upon the parapet. One of our first shots brought the whole machinery down, and all through the firing of the Naval guns was excellent.

About six I had driven out (being still enfeebled with fever) to King's Post, to see the tail-end of the Boer waggons disappear. On returning I found all the world running for all they were worth to the lower end of the High-street and shouting wildly. The cause was soon evident. Riding up just past the Anglican Church came a squadron of mounted infantry. They were not our own. Their horses were much too good, and they looked strange. Behind them came another and another. They had crossed the drift that leads to the road along the foot of Cæsar's Camp past Intombi to Pieter's, and Colenso. There was no mistake about it. They were the advance of the relief column, and more were coming behind. It was Lord Dundonald's Irregulars—Imperial Light Horse, Natal Carbineers, Natal Police, and Border Mounted Rifles.

The road was crammed on both sides with cheering and yelling crowds—soldiers off duty, officers, townspeople, Kaffirs, and coolies, all one turmoil of excitement and joy. By the post office General White met them, and by common consent there was a pause. Most of his Staff were with him too. In a very few words he welcomed the first visible evidence of relief. He thanked his own garrison for their splendid service in the defence, and added that now he would never have to cut down their rations again, a thing that always went to his heart.

Then followed roar after roar of cheering—cheers for White, for Buller, for Ward, for many others. Then, all of a sudden, we found ourselves shouting the National Anthem in every possible key and pitch. Then more cheering and more again.

But it was getting dark. The General and Staff turned towards Headquarters. The new arrivals had to be settled in their quarters for the night. Most were taken in by the Imperial Light Horse—alas! there is plenty of room in their camp now! To right and left the squadrons wheeled, amid greetings and laughter and endless delight. By eight o'clock the street was almost clear, and there was nothing to show how great a change had befallen us.

About ten a tremendous explosion far away told that the Boers were blowing up the bridges behind them as they fled.

And so with to-night the long siege really ends. It is hardly credible yet. For 118 days we have been cut off from the world. All that time we have been more or less under fire, sometimes under terrible fire. What it will be to mix with the great world again and live each day in comparative security we can hardly imagine at present. But the peculiar episode called the Siege of Ladysmith is over.

In Mafeking:

We have got our news at last, and though the shell fire is very much heavier than usual the population is wandering about with a bland smile on its face and a comfortable contempt for the Boer nation at large, only tempered by the fear that the military success over Boer armies in the field may be discounted greatly if the British people allow themselves to be hoodwinked by the most unscrupulous, self - interested' politicians who ever led a country to its ruin, but who have unfortunately sown seeds which may sprout again and to which there is only one successful treatment, that of force majeure, followed by pax Brittanica, to be upheld again whenever necessary by the aforesaid force majeure, which is the only argument that South Africa, black or white, in its present condition can understand. Generosity would be wasted, kindness treated with ill-concealed contempt, and blood and treasure cast awav, whilst race hatred would again be rampant, were the Dutch to be once more in a position to struggle for supreme control. It is a strong man armed who keeps South Africa, let that man be British.

The Boers are determined to keep us amused, and do not approve of the Free Press; they have just now blown the newspaper office, by our dug-out, to pieces, and arc trying to silence our mild manifestations of joy by particularly heavy shell fire. This afternoon we tried our new gun again on the veldt, with bursting charges in the shells, and the results were eminently satisfactory; they afforded a certain amount of interest to the garrison of Game Tree fort, who, as the gun was pointed almost at right angles to them, bobbed somewhat unnecessarily to each discharge. The explosion of the shell might well have puzzled them for it was exactly like the discharge of another gun. It is a shame to he cooped up here in such weather, " where all around is beautiful and only Boers are vile," and if they had any sense of decency or humour they would give us one good fight to finish, as it is we hang on in trenches into which they cannot possibly come, they hang on in opposing trenches into which we cannot afford to go, exchanges of shots go on all day, varied by shell fire on their part, which is becoming monotonous, and the dullest, deadest level of warfare has been effectually attained. To-day we had our little joke; a dummy truck was placed on the line about two miles south of the town, some snipers fired a few shots from it and then abandoned it, they were, however, successful in drawing the fire from the quick-firer Krupp and one-pound Maxim at Jackal Tree with occasional shots from the big gun; they made execrable shooting, but killed some cattle and a horse or two in a remote portion of the veldt, and unfortunately killed the Sergeant-Major of the Black Watch, a fine Zulu over six feet four inches: a one-pound Maxim hit him clean in the head. Yesterday, too, Trooper Elkirigton, a particularly smart, good-looking fellow in the Cape Police, was struck in the face by a five-pound shell, and his nose and eyes destroyed; he still lives, poor fellow. Apropos of Zulus, there is a mad Zulu in the town who, when the frenzy seizes him, strips, and indulges in a war dance in front of the Boers; how many thousand rounds of ammunition they have fired at him it would be hard to say, but one day for certain they fired a five nine-pounder Krupp at him, the only result being that he assegaied the spot were each shell fell. My own personal experience of him was aggravating. One day having selected a secluded spot with good cover from which to snipe, and thinking myself exceedingly well concealed, I was much annoyed by the inordinate amount of bullets which came my way, and whilst waiting till they stopped a bit, happened to look round and discovered that my friend, stark naked, was dancing about a hundred yards in rear of me, when he had finished he put on his clothes and went home. He is still alive, and dancing when inclined. Mr. Whales, who has edited The Mafeking Mail and brought out daily editions throughout the siege, had an extraordinary escape yesterday. A 94 lb. shell came into his office and exploded whilst he was talking to two other men, wrecking the place, but providentially only slightly scratching one man. As he emerged from the debris much shaken, his first remark was, " That the slip would not be issued to-night." This is the second shell through the office, and though the setting up operations are carried on in a bomb proof, he has consistently carried on his editorial avocations regardless of the heaviest fire. This practice T am glad to say he proposes to discontinue in a measure, and work more or less underground, for, as he truly says, "The third shell may hit me." Really this does look as if it were the beginning of the end, and as if this somewhat isolated outpost of the Empire were going to get its communications with civilization restored. It has been an experience, and though certainly not a very pleasant one, I do not think the survivors can but have profited by it. I rather fancy, however, that it will take a singularly astute foeman ever to involve any of them in a .siege again j it is, however, Colonel Vyvyan's second experience in South Africa, as he was once before shut up in Etchowe.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 28th 11 years 4 weeks ago #8549

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From The Times, 28 Feb 1900:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

February 28th 11 years 4 weeks ago #8552

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
News of the relief. From The Times, 2 March 1900:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

February 28th 8 years 1 month ago #45412

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

There was a smartish rifle fire this morning about 3 o’clock. I suppose it was only an affair of outposts. — Yesterday was the anniversary of the Majuba fight. — Our volunteers, and probably the regulars also, get such miserably small rations, that they eat them up as soon as they are given to them, and so have to starve for the next twenty-four hours.

2 p.m. . Major Evans has been to tell us the Boers are in full retreat, and our folk are starting in pursuit. If this is correct, the siege is over. We have had only one shot from Bulwan today. Our own batteries have opened a brisk fire on Bulwan. They have fired very little during the last week or two, but they seem determined to give the Boers a warm salute at parting. Our guns began to fire about half an hour ago, and kept it up.
Dr David Biggins

February 28th 7 years 4 weeks ago #52288

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Firing much nearer. Writing all the morning. N. Smith and Hayes called, bringing the following news from Buller, “That he had thoroughly beaten the enemy, Boers in full flight, cavalry in pursuit.” Our 4.7 Naval gun opened fire on Bulwana to try to prevent enemy taking away gun, but the effort proved futile. About 6 o’clock, while talking to Mrs. Haden, I heard tremendous shouting and cheering in the direction of the river near the Show Grounds, when Cameron rushed in to tell us the RELIEF column was approaching. With difficulty I managed to get down to find some 240 mounted men crossing the drift, composed of part of our regiment and I.L.H. under command of Major D. McKenzie, N.C. We are now, thank God, relieved, though by a small instalment. Enemy have fled north. Buller and convoy expected tomorrow. Excitement indescribable, especially with us for the fact of our men getting in first. Heavy thunderstorm 7.30 to 9. Feel very unhappy as a hard lump has formed near the liver. Doctor Anderson is at present unable to make a diagnosis of the evil and looking up authorities read out many cases of similar nature, some of which put me in a nervous state of absolute funk. I don’t mind pain, but abhor the suggestion of the knife. He gave me a prescription which may move it. I pray it may do so. Turned in at 9 and slept well for the first time for five weeks.
Dr David Biggins

February 28th 7 years 4 weeks ago #52289

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Rejoice and be glad, relief has come! I am dazed. I can’t realize it. Ladysmith is relieved, relieved at last. The great day has come, and none of us seem to realize it properly. But the excitement here this afternoon was enough to make your head dizzy. Went to the hospital this afternoon never dreaming that relief was so near at hand. We were very much elated at the news that came from Buller at about 1 o'clock, saying he had given the Boers a terrible beating and they were retreating in large numbers, but had sent his Cavalry to follow them up, to see where they were going. This was yesterday's fight. Everyone was elated at this. Well, while at the hospital we were enjoying a little chat in the dispensary (our dining room) when Dr. Buntine and Dr. Currie came in and joined us. I went in to visit a few patients as the doctors said they would walk down with me in a few minutes. We heard great cheering at Indombi Camp, the Town in a few minutes was all excitement, people running from all quarters, so we ran out and joined the crowd at Inman's Corner. They told us the flying column was to be seen coming past Indombi Camp, so we immediately turned down the street in the direction of the cheering. We got so excited that we actually ran at times through pools and puddles that were too big to jump (there had been a heavy rain during the afternoon). We only got as far as Mrs. Hayden's when we met a squadron of Imperial Light Horse headed by Major Karri Davis, 80 I believe there were. Then came a small number of Natal Police, twenty or thirty, then Natal Carbineers headed by Major Duncan McKenzie looking beaming, his left arm in a sling (they say he is hoarse tonight with cheering). The General and all his staff met them just by our gate. Dr. Buntine and Dr. Currie left me at the house. I hurried in to see Wilfrid, Willie and Ada. I did feel sorry for them. Wilfrid was as low as he could be. I knew how awful it must have been to lie there and hear all the noise and tramp o^ horses feet, and feel so completely out of it. Major McKenzie says the Boers are leaving in crowds with their wagons, three abreast, and herds of cattle. They tried to move Long Tom from the Umbulwana, but we fired into them until they had to leave. They are sure to try again tonight as they will all want to be away by morning, but our big gun is to fire all night at Long Tom, so preventing them. Buller is expected to come in in the morning or during the day. Ail those who have horses, I believe, are to go out with General White and Staff to meet him. Nearly all the horses in Camp have been consumed.

150 wagons are also expected to be in with provisions. 16,000 shells fell in the town during the Siege.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds